For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:25 pm
I have never owned a pair and just want people’s thoughts on using them not only for writing but also mixing.. I won’t be able to set up my monitors for awhile as I need to find a permanent spot to live. The headphones I have are ok for listening but are cheapish 100 dollar closed back headphones by KRK, same brand as my monitors.

I am wondering if how much more useful they would be? Does getting something on the more expensive side even matter? Finally, will it help me with my mixing as I have never had a properly treated room and usually mix on my big monitors?

Any feedback would be helpful. I took a better job in another state, AGAIN, so it’s almost back to square one.
By loose_t Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 pm
I live in an apartment with paper thin walls so can never set my monitor volume above a whisper, so I’m always mixing in headphones. I did a lot of research into various open back models and ended up going with the beyerdynamic DT880s, which are semi open back. Great clarity, tight bass, slightly scooped mids.. I find my mixes with these translate pretty well to other systems.. I recommend them, as to get better quality than DT880s the price goes up quite drastically.
By Cockdiesel Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:02 pm
Yea I’ve been reading reviews and it seems those and the midrange price sennhieser seem to be the consensus.
There’s also a lot clutter with audio dudes just dumping at trying to mix on any headphones much less open back. Was hoping for more experiences here but it is what it is.
I guess everyone has the most ideal places to make beats.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pm
The beyerdynamic DT880 Pro's are nice, just be sure to pair them with a good headphone amp. The MPC Headphones amp can't really drive 80 ohms or 250 ohms headphones very well. It's really made for 32 ohm headphones.
By loose_t Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:53 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:There’s also a lot clutter with audio dudes just dumping at trying to mix on any headphones much less open back. Was hoping for more experiences here but it is what it is.
I guess everyone has the most ideal places to make beats.

It’s not ideal but I think once you’re familiar with the sound of the headphones and do plenty of A/Bing you can get 90% of the way there. I know a few deep house/tech house producers who mix entirely on headphones and their tracks sound great in clubs. Might not be as effective if your mixing more dynamic/subtle styles of music.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:06 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1320203-ssl-2-sennheiser-hd650-headphones.html

I have a ssl 2+ so I’m thinking I can use that.

The SSL 2+ will do great with 80 ohm headphones and up. Just stay clear of 32 ohm headphones because of the high distortions.
By Cockdiesel Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:32 am
Thanks guys. There's alot to sift through with the headphones debate. I'll have to make a choice in the next few days here. I am actually real excited to get back to things and do so with a minimalist approach. Just my MPC, keyboard and maybe a pedal when I feel like experimenting.