For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Dubalith Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:28 pm
Hey chaps, i recently bought motu 828 audio interface, and i see its impossible to match up with my laptop i have cause it doesn't support firewire.. i know many went through this struggle, and that there are answers on forums and on internet, and i am doing my digging slowly, but here i am... I need suggestions for laptop preferably Windows? Or you have strong suggestion to go over with Mac? I was never a Mac user so i pref windows, but i head more people go with macs... What are pros n cons of goint mac and windows?
And what are your suggestions, do i go for an old device or would u suggest to go with new device with firewire support? I seen some options of that are rly expensive like Sager companies laptops arny there cheeper options that will work good enough for music production only? I heard people use laptops 20 years old, that still runs smooth for them, and i guess i dont care if its new or old as long as it will support the firewire and will work fine with my projects? 95s kid there, and i wasnt so familiar with the older tech rly as i had older brother that rly sorted out most of tech problems for me, leaving me with little experience ;D trial and error is good teacher, as i learned from buying motu to do better research ( i tried go thunderbolt adapters to find out it doesnt work that way too) but i wanna save time and put more time producing while i slowly expand my home studio :) i find music prod does magic for my soul as i have alot of anxiety in my life, and smokin weed was working for a while but i find out it makes more anxiety n wasted lifetime by alot if abused ;D
By Komatos Records Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:36 am
FireWire is predominately on older Apple Macs, as it was a technology developed by Apple and the video recording technology developers in the early-mid 2000s for transferring video footage from camcorders (I.e. MiniDV camcorders and the like before SD Cards became common in them). You can get FireWire expansion cards for Windows desktops, but laptops are more limited in expandability.

FireWire was replaced by Lightning cable technology about 8-10 years ago. My Late 2012 i7 quad-core 2.3 GHz Mac Mini was one of the last Macs to have FireWire built in (FireWire 800 in this model, my original Mac Mini from 2005 had FireWire 400). It also has Lightning, 4 USB 3 ports, HDMI, and an SD Card built in. When I put in an SSD last Summer it runs like new again.
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm
apparently the thunderbolt to firewire adapters work... they even work with the motu ultralite which is the same drivers as the 828. In my desktop i have a pci express firewire card because i still have a few firewire things.... but honestly it is a pain in the ass. one of the issues you run into on windows is when the computer goes into sleep mode (after a few hours not touching the computer) when it wakes back up you often need to reset the soundcard... honestly just bite the bullet and get a new soundcard with USB... behringer makes cheap interfaces that work fine. if you are talking high end... get ready to drop a grand or two.
By mpc2000xls900 Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:00 am
My 2012 Macbook Pro has a firewire port, and it runs like a champ. I recommend it, as it is one of the last true Macbooks that you can actually customize and has USB ports too. Unlike todays laptops where everything is soldered in, you can upgrade the RAM/Hard-drive to max it out. It's not that expensive to max out, but since it's a 2012, I recommend not being cheap with the battery and getting a new one that isn't so cheap. I also believe the Max Ram is 16gb too.