For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

Should I re-finish

60%
20%
20%
By Elpimpo Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:59 am
Since I put My whole studio in storage when I moved to Japan, I needed monitors.

I found a matched pair of 1st gen NS-10s on the local market. Speakers/crossover are perfect with NO damage and sound Great (which in NS10 language = terrible).

These are going in my studio permanently once I return to the US.

The cabinets are rough though. What I want to do is pull out the woofer, tweeter, crossover and terminals and use wood filler to smooth it all out. sand them smooth, prime them, and have a local artist do one in anime art and the other in traditional Japanese art. I think this would look cool. kind of like functional artwork.

I am going to undertake this (if y'all persuade me) Next weekend.
At the end of the vote, I will either post the transformation or that I'm leaving them as-is.

Bonus find:
in the pictures, Those are some JDM Roland micro monitors (ME22BT) that sound INCREDIBLE (for a 2.5" woofer), Also going back home with me. Glad I found them.

By Komatos Records Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:18 pm
I’ve got a pair of Roland MA-12C micro monitors as my primary studio monitors set. Had them for over 20 years. Light cream/white color instead of black, but similar to yours. Have three ¼” input jacks on the back: 1 for line, 1 for instrument, 1 for mic level. Pristine sound for such a small pair of speakers.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:05 pm
mr_debauch wrote:yeah, i don't know. i often prefer stock original over custom... but yeah maybe there is some filler or something you could do to fix those up.

I agree.

Considering the current condition, I would careful remove all the decal, stickers, and drivers. Sand them, wood fill, give them the original paint and then reapply the decals and reinstall the drivers.
By richie Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:58 pm
As far as I am aware, Yamaha may still be servicing NS-10's in Japan.

If the actual speakers are fine then I would suggest leaving it alone or take the hit and pay someone in Japan to do it right.

By the way, what did you pay for them?
By Elpimpo Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am
richie wrote:As far as I am aware, Yamaha may still be servicing NS-10's in Japan.

By the way, what did you pay for them?

I will look into the servicing now.

I paid the equivalent of $130 for both
By Elpimpo Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:47 am
mr_debauch wrote:and side note... you are in japan, if you go custom, go ghost in mpc

Never heard of ghost till now.

Oooof.... that rack mount sp1200 though...
Thanks
By richie Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:49 pm
Elpimpo wrote:I paid the equivalent of $130 for both

Jesus christ, that's a steal man.

By the way, depending on where you're stationed there should be multiple "Hard Off" locations that you may want to check for gear.

I've had people grab me gear for quite good prices. Not too long ago, got an Akai S3200 $30.
By Elpimpo Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:26 pm
richie wrote:By the way, depending on where you're stationed there should be multiple "Hard Off" locations that you may want to check for gear.

What locations? Drop that knowledge on me rich!
By richie Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:15 am
Elpimpo wrote:What locations? Drop that knowledge on me rich!

They're a chain of second hand shops across Japan. Since the cost of disposing of electronics is high in Japan, people will opt to donate their equipment for a bit of cash back to this chain. They're a good place to look for equipment and in many cases an excellent way to find old video game console stuff as well.

Just google "hard off japan" on your maps and you'll see what I'm talking about.
By Elpimpo Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:20 am
richie wrote:They're a chain of second hand shops across Japan.
Just google "hard off japan" on your maps and you'll see what I'm talking about.

no... s h I t....

Ive driven by these places a million times!!

for some reason I dismissed them as they look like laundromats or some other stuff. Have noticed many chains, 2nd street, manga souku etc, they love recycling out here...

welp, I know what I'm doing this weekend gentlemen,

if I die, it was my wife
By richie Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:17 pm
Elpimpo wrote:Ive driven by these places a million times!!

Yeah hopefully you find something interesting. They also have "Book Off" but I don't believe they have any electronics there other than video game stuff. Book Off will also have vinyl and other forms of media, either way, good luck man.

I'll update if I can think of other spots to keep on your list.
By wavejockey Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:23 am
i've bought a AKAI S3000 for 40€ last december in japan, full option
in the hard-off (matsuyama)
(also, you can negotiate in the store, with the store manager - if you speak a bit japanese)
-best hardoffs are off the beaten path, don't go the the ones in tokyo-center / ginza cause there all the tourists will flock (if any of course)