For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Crazy Bird Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:26 am
HI,

I just bought a MPC Live II and I'm looking for a MIDI Keyboard to use with plugins and samples.
I would like something transportable but with more than 32 keys (37 seems good).
Do you have any recommandations ?

Arturia KeyStep seems good but I wonder if all the functions for this model will be useless (ex: duplicate the sequencer).

Thanx for your advice and sorry for my english (I'm frenchspeaking)
By giannic Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:43 pm
Salut! I just bought a MPC Live II with a Keystep 37 and had the same thought process (dilemma) as you. I decided to still choose the Keystep 37 for these reasons:

1- For when I want the MPC to take an already arranged sequence/arpeggio. This way all I need to do is press record on the mpc and the notes will come already "performed". This is also useful to me because I like to play it live and may not want to be menu diving in the mpc for cleaning up midi notes.
2- 37 keys I think is perfect and Arturia seems to have the absolute best in the market as far as mini keys go.
3- This is a big one for me: being able to quickly switch midi channels on the Keystep so that I can play the desired MIDI track inside the MPC without having to physically select it on the MPC.
4- Chord mode is just gorgeous. The MPC has some chord modes as well, but I prefer to use them for pad performances and not ones that I would normally use keys for, for e.g. samples, effects, drums.
5- When I switch from working on the MPC to Ableton (either to finish the track or when on different ones that just exist in my computer), I thought the Keystep 37 would provide me with very good working capabilities. For example, the things the keystep you fear would be duplicates when working with an MPC would become the MIDI programming performing tool when not using the MPC and just your computer. There are better controllers suited for DAW integration, so this is a strong positive when considered as a secondary feature of the Keystep 37.

It is a big market out there with truly many options and all with pros and cons making this a tough choice so hope this helps. Happy to share more if you have any questions.

Gianni
By Crazy Bird Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:08 pm
Many thanks Gianni for sharing your experience ! You gave me some points I didn't notice before.

3- This is a big one for me: being able to quickly switch midi channels on the Keystep so that I can play the desired MIDI track inside the MPC without having to physically select it on the MPC.

If I understand well, you can switch the track in your MPC directly from your MIDI Keyboard :hmmm: ?
By giannic Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:48 pm
Exactly! - Just make sure the incoming tracks have rec enabled (or monitoring in) so that you can hear the playback.