For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By mpc2000xls900 Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:50 am
I keep finding myself using my laptop and MPD less, and I keep finding myself using my s900/mpc more. I have my s900 with the 8 outs going to my mixer, and I use my 2000xl as the sequencer via midi. I initially wanted to use my s900/2000xl just to mess around and for a nostalgia feeling, but I noticed I keep using it more and more and neglecting my laptop. Only problem is, I don't have a means to record my analog setup. I'm seeking advice on what would be the best way to multi-track my beats, to my laptop (Ableton). I know I need an audio interface, but I'm seeking some advice if I should get a firewire interface, usb interface, or should I just get a new mixer with a built in interface? I was looking at the Tascam model 16, or the Soundcraft MTK 22. Has anyone here ever used any of those? If I decide to use my existing Mixer, will a 2.0 USB interface be fine without any latency? I'm only tracking out about 6-8 tracks really, so the demand isn't too much. My laptop does have a firewire port, so I don't need any adapter or anything like that. And lastly, any interface recommendations for my existing mixer?
By terry towelling Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:45 am
I think a second gen motu ultra lite will work with your laptop. that'll give you enough inputs for tracking out 8 channels at a time. you should be able to buy one for a very good price.
By JAYCEE3K Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 pm
terry towelling wrote:I think a second gen motu ultra lite will work with your laptop. that'll give you enough inputs for tracking out 8 channels at a time. you should be able to buy one for a very good price.

Exactly what I would use if on a budget. It would give editing capabilities, and efficiency when tracking into DAW PLUS the option to run 8 outs back out the DAW into the mixer for summing or addition process before recording 2-track back in, all with decent A/D conversion
By NearTao Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:32 pm
The Zoom H4/5/6/8 are all probably worth looking into. Can function as a portable recorder, or an audio interface for your computer. Gets you the ability to multi-track record, and has some FX to mess with the sound on the go if you just wanted to work that way...