For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:55 am

LInk: https://playdifferently.org/model-1-4/

Four years after the launch of the acclaimed and award-winning Model 1 DJ mixer, PLAYdifferently are bringing the same unrivalled analogue experience to Model 1.4, a compact 4- channel design with the same uncompromising approach.

Engineered by Andy Rigby-Jones and co-designed by Richie Hawtin with feedback from artists, clubs and engineers, Model 1.4 features the attention to build quality and comprehensive feature set that put Model 1 in a class of its own.

“With Model 1 we set out to build a new breed of DJ mixer, more akin to an instrument, with levels of control and quality that inspired creativity,” says Hawtin. “We always felt a compact version would be welcomed in home studios and perfect for streaming. At a more affordable price, but with no compromise to the purity of design and components, this is a smaller format Model 1 with four channels, perfect for the home, as a compact club mixer, or as a nimble tour instrument.”

With a price of $2,299/€2,199, Model 1.4 cuts no corners. Built in the UK and sharing Model 1’s 100% analogue design, key features include four stereo channels, two stereo send and return channels, two mix outputs and two high performance phono preamps. Each channel also has its own hi- and low-pass filters, precision SCULPT EQ and analogue overdrive circuit.

Just like Model 1, Model 1.4 also boasts two independent cue systems, D-Sub I/O for highend sound card integration and the Mixer Link system that allows multiple PLAYdifferently mixers to be linked together, giving you a truly scalable system to grow with your ambitions and not limit your creative possibilities.

Hawtin concludes: “Model 1.4 remains true to our original concept of ‘DJ mixer as instrument’ and delivers it in a compact, more affordable package. I can’t wait to see and hear how it’s going to inspire the current generation of DJs.”

Key features:
● 100% Analogue
● 2 High Performance Phono Preamps
● Studio-grade TKD 60mm Faders
● Precision Sculpting EQ
● Master high & low pass resonant filters
● Three-band Master EQ
● Two-band Booth EQ
● Contouring low & high pass filters
● Analogue overdrive
● Two Independent Cue systems
● Mixer Link allows linking multiple mixers
● Balanced Mix Bus with >110dB of dynamic range
● D-Sub In/Out
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:00 am

Link: https://playdifferently.org/model-1/

Press Release 2016

RICHIE HAWTIN and ANDY RIGBY-JONES unveil PLAYdifferently MODEL 1, the brand’s debut product, which offers a new level of uncompromising quality and intuitive functionality combined with hand-crafted British design.
Over the past two years, Hawtin and highly-regarded British product developer Andy Rigby-Jones have combined their joint expertise and unique vision to DEVELOP new innovative instruments for the DJ and electronic music market. Their first announcement is the MODEL 1 mixer, which offers uncompromising quality, sonic performance and intuitive functionality.

The Mixer offers 6 full featured stereo channels, 2 stereo Send & Return channels, 2 Mix outputs, and Master & Booth EQ.

Features include a per channel Hybrid Filter EQ & Input overdrive control, Master Resonant Filter (with both HPF and LPF controls), a Dual headphone Cue system, Tascam DB25 connector system, Dual Mixer linking capability and a Dual external PSU option.

Introduced at NAMM, the world’s largest trade show specializing in music equipment and technology, assessed at leading worldwide events including ENTER.Ibiza, SXSW and Glastonbury Festival, and test-driven by a series of world-leading artists at revered clubs including Output (NYC), Fabric (London) and Watergate (Berlin), the mixer is now ready for launch, together with manufacturing & distribution partners Audiotonix and Allen & Heath.

PLAYdifferently MODEL 1

MIX

6 stereo channels
2 stereo sends
2 stereo returns
3 high performance phono preamps
Studio grade faders

MANIPULATE

Precision Sculpting EQ
Contouring low & high pass filters
Analog overdrive

COLLABORATE

DualCue
Mixer Link

ENGINEER

Balanced Mix Bus
Master high & low pass resonant filters
Three-band master EQ
Two-band Booth EQ

BUILD

100% analogue
ZERO Crossing Circuitry
Quality Components
External Power supply
BUILT IN THE UK
CONNECTIVITY
D-Subs In
D-Subs Out
Front mounted record Out
By DokBrown Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 pm
I just got into DJ mixers so I didn’t want to break the bank on this unit.
But the specs & utubes on it looked very promising.

My DJ mixer only has cheap RCA so I get a lot of noise, this thing is something else . . .
By Ultros Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:37 pm
beautiful looking unit, however the lack of cross fader / countour control is a bit of a draw back. great for for the mix and blending part but what if we wanna play doubles? that's a bunch of multiple simultaneous fader actions.

literally the only things i can whine about though haha its got everything else that dreams are made of. I've not seen ts or trs in a mixer since the vestax pmc series, but then agian i've not searched much.

is it nice n quiet or what?

Any noise? distortion? pot / slider crackling? whats the tactile stuffs durability feel like?