For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Dillionaire_ Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:11 pm
Hi guys, I'm running short on my mixer and having to patch bay everything as I need it for about 16 different synths instruments machines etc. Thinking of getting a analog mixing console for my productions and running the 'group outs' into a 8 channel audio interface to knock out beats into the PC when needed. However I mainly record to a multi track Casette deck.

I've looked at the digital side of things but I'm loving the Casette deck and can see myself moving to reel eventually.

Question is, theres mixing desks for live sound, also mixing desks for studio use, from my limited research basically the difference I can see is that a studio desk is better set up for routing and higher quality with more features on the desk. Prices are pretty crazy in my country..

I wondered what would be a good desk to consider for a studio setup, I need around 24 channels, I'm keen on analog only or maybe hybrid, I'd really like a meter bridge because that would help me greatly. Could be any age etc, always head good things about soundcraft etc what's the staples and models to look out for?
By mr_debauch Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 pm
yeah i feel you on that issue.
either keep an eye out for a bigger board (sometimes you run into 32 channels for a decent price, but i find it nicer when you have a bigger bus which i find more useful than extra channels that just go to a stereo bus)

i have been thinking of just going with a new audio interface like the motu 8a or 16a... they have AVB and ADAT which seems like it might stay relevant for longer than today's current flavor of connection that won't be up to date in a couple of years. the thing i like is down the road it is easy to just get another card in the range and add more I/O or from another brand via light pipe.
By Dillionaire_ Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 pm
Thing with AdAT and similar devices is some of the boxes don't have monitoring features. So when youre jamming it's going from your machine as AdAT, through into the interface its connected to then into the computer then back to your mixer on a stereo channel as monitoring inputs of all those channels.

I get that using the PC is far more powerful but honestly can't be **** with it, rather just mix down on a desk to the best of my ability and use my limited rack gear, then bounce to tape. I guess it just feels better too, easy to get shit done on a real desk.

I've got the space for it, I'd like to make sure I'm buying something that's solid that people usually keep an eye out for.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:54 pm
Dillionaire_ wrote:Hi guys, I'm running short on my mixer and having to patch bay everything as I need it for about 16 different synths instruments machines etc. Thinking of getting a analog mixing console for my productions and running the 'group outs' into a 8 channel audio interface to knock out beats into the PC when needed. However I mainly record to a multi track Casette deck.

I've looked at the digital side of things but I'm loving the Casette deck and can see myself moving to reel eventually.

Question is, theres mixing desks for live sound, also mixing desks for studio use, from my limited research basically the difference I can see is that a studio desk is better set up for routing and higher quality with more features on the desk. Prices are pretty crazy in my country..

I wondered what would be a good desk to consider for a studio setup, I need around 24 channels, I'm keen on analog only or maybe hybrid, I'd really like a meter bridge because that would help me greatly. Could be any age etc, always head good things about soundcraft etc what's the staples and models to look out for?

There's a mixing desk for you but the questions are:
1. What's your input/output needs?
2. What feature do you want on the desk?
3. How much physical space do you have?
4. What is your budget?
By Dillionaire_ Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:01 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Dillionaire_ wrote:Hi guys, I'm running short on my mixer and having to patch bay everything as I need it for about 16 different synths instruments machines etc. Thinking of getting a analog mixing console for my productions and running the 'group outs' into a 8 channel audio interface to knock out beats into the PC when needed. However I mainly record to a multi track Casette deck.

There's a mixing desk for you but the questions are:
1. What's your input/output needs?
2. What feature do you want on the desk?
3. How much physical space do you have?
4. What is your budget?

1- I need 24 channels or so
2- Features needed are, meter bridge and two Stereo returns for FX, the more group outs the better, 4x would be ideal.
3- ice got about 1200mm space to place it at home.
4- budget is around $2000nzd, which is about $1400usd. I could spend more but trying not to.

TY
By Dillionaire_ Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:06 pm
I have an opportunity for a allen and heath Gl3800, (24 channel) its well over the budget but from what I've read it's more of a live mixer than a studio one, not really sure. For the money it seems too much. $2000USD
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:16 pm
Dillionaire_ wrote:
1- I need 24 channels or so
2- Features needed are, meter bridge and two Stereo returns for FX, the more group outs the better, 4x would be ideal.
3- ice got about 1200mm space to place it at home.
4- budget is around $2000nzd, which is about $1400usd. I could spend more but trying not to.

TY

With consoles, the more Bus/Group out you want, the more they tend to cost. You could check out at Soundcraft LX7II-32 or something similar. If you look around for used, you could find something. However, you're going to have to consider cost of repair?
By RepRSP Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:55 pm
Allen & Heath Zed 24
By Dillionaire_ Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:00 pm
thanks for all the suggestions and considerations, I've seen something I like the sound of, mackie 24-8 (1995) anyone had good experience with it?
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:10 pm
Dillionaire_ wrote:thanks for all the suggestions and considerations, I've seen something I like the sound of, mackie 24-8 (1995) anyone had good experience with it?

It was okay in 1995, but I'm not sure why you would spend the money on an old mackie mixer. Unless you're handy with a soldering iron and plan on restoring it.
By mr_debauch Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:51 am
great for the price, and at the time it was not 25 years old... i still run the cr1604vlz and it is ok.. it is noisy a bit but it works. if i had to replace that (like a few things that got **** lately in my studio) i would probably keep my eyes peeled for something second hand but a bit better. I don't know the gear situation out near you, but these days it seems like people are trying to offload big old mixers. I have seen A&H big boards, yamahas, and all sorts for under a grand over the past few weeks.
By Sense-A Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:35 pm
I have a large 32 channel mixer, but it is large and I don't use it.

Instead, I utilize many rack mixers and patchbays.

My goal is to try to narrow my synths and sum them to two or four channels. Same with drums. Take my 5-6 drum modules and try to sum them to two or four channels.

Then I have romplers and other samplers.

One patchbay will be to feed and pull channels out of an array of FX machines.
Another patchbay is to route signals through compressors and EQ's.

I own a house, but still, space becomes an issue. I like my audio interface to act as my console. I have 4 tracks and reel to reels. But ultimately, I am going to record tracks to a computer DAW. Maybe I bounce a track out to reel and back into the daw. But the DAW and PC is ultimately where I am going to be storing the tracks. A reel to reel or 4 track in my case is moreso for effect, or a temporary medium for a live set that I'll eventually feed into the DAW.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 pm
mr_debauch wrote:great for the price, and at the time it was not 25 years old... i still run the cr1604vlz and it is ok.. it is noisy a bit but it works. if i had to replace that (like a few things that got **** lately in my studio) i would probably keep my eyes peeled for something second hand but a bit better. I don't know the gear situation out near you, but these days it seems like people are trying to offload big old mixers. I have seen A&H big boards, yamahas, and all sorts for under a grand over the past few weeks.

Repair is the hardest thing about buy second hand boards, unless it's bought from companies that actually restore them. But you are corrects people are unloading lots of these boards. :nod: