For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Danoc Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:42 am
Just what l was waiting for. :shock: not bad on the price either. Its a must for me being l have studio one 4.6 :) Dammit they didn't put Reason 11 on that list being it has a SSL mixer :evil:

MUSICTECH

SSL’s UF8 is a premium controller for multiple DAWs
The Oxford-based brand puts its forty years of studio expertise into a sleek controller with accompanying software

By Sam Willings- 4th February 2021

Solid State Logic, the manufacturer of legendary studio gear, has directed its attention to the DAW with its new UF8 eight-channel controller. The premium high-end hardware comes with SSL 360° software to custom-map parameters.

Eight is the magic number with UF8. It features eight motorised 100mm touch-sensitive faders, eight touch-sensitive rotary encoders and eight high-res colour displays to navigate channels in your DAW with ease. A multi-purpose Channel encoder can emulate mouse scrolling, with control over any plug-in parameter you hover your mouse over.

Read More: SSL 2 and 2+ review
For custom workflows, 43 assignable backlit user keys are available, to set up your essential shortcuts and macros. This includes five banks of eight User Keys plus three Quick Keys. The UF8 comes with workflow templates for major DAWs, in case you aren’t willing to spend time setting up your own configuration. This includes Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton Live and Studio One, ( :mrgreen: ) which are the officially supported DAWs.

Advertisement

Four UF8 controllers can be linked up to form a 32-channel controller, which should please producers working with big projects. Otherwise, the eight-channel controller is designed for a variety of environments, be it smaller music projects, podcasts, audio-post production and other DAW-focused jobs.

The rear panel of the SSL UF8 sports USB-C connectivity to computers, two quarter-inch TRS inputs for standard footswtich connections and a socket for UF8’s external power supply. The USB-A port facilitates connection between multiple UF8s.

SSL 360° lets you save and load configuration profiles for the UF8, with cross-platform compatibility. It also manages software and firmware updates. Along with SSL 360°, you’ll get full licenses of SSL’s Vocalstrip 2 and Drumstrip plug-ins.

Andy Jackson, SSL Studio Product Manager, comments “UF8 is an obvious next step in SSL’s development in ergonomically designed studio tools for todays’ mixers, producers and creators. The layout and build quality are all about our fixation with ‘human engineering’; creating products that keep you in the creative zone with high-speed access to every fader or control, without operator fatigue or discomfort.”

The UF8 is available for £833/$1,299/€999. To find out more, head to solidstatelogic.com.

https://www.musictech.net/news/ssl-uf8- ... mpaign&amp
By Danoc Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:50 pm
One thing l go for is how well it's built. Those 8 rotary knobs you see on the UF8 are just that. Plus the software its coming with. I don't need pads, l need what it has. It open up your plugins etc. It will conform perfectly to Studio one. Plus you can link up 4 to get 32 tracks. We talkin SSL here. :lol:Im a sucka for SSL too :lol: :nod:

The aesthetics is not to shabby either :mrgreen:

Did you get yours used?
How many can you link up? Im not planning to buy 4, the 8 channels will do. It can flip from 8 to 8 to another 8.

Sense-A wrote:Doesn't look all that different from a novation zero SL MK1/MK2

I got a zero SL MKII for less than $100 and it has faders, pads, rotaries, and LCD scribble screens.

The zero SL MKII is made out of cheap plastic though, whereas that UF8 looks better built.
By Sense-A Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:50 am
Yeah the UF8 looks nice. Behringer has the BCR2000 and BCF2000. They have the X-Touch too.

The novation zero sl mk2 has an editor that lets me make templates and assign CC values to rotaries and faders. Then I can save the preset. Like I said, though, it feels cheap like an m-audio product.

I can operate it stand alone to control synths, which I use it for. Haven't used it with the mpc yet.

I wish JJOS would implement foot switches as patch buttons so that I could turn each Q-Link slider into 4 controls depending on which foot switch i'm holding down. Like the patch buttons on ensoniq keyboards.
By mr_debauch Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:40 am
yeah i saw that... it has pros and cons. the nice thing is it is square on the sides so if you do get several or they make other control surfaces, they will sit next to each other more seamlessly. on the other hand, out of the control surfaces with motorized faders i have seen over the years this one doesn't look quite as good. that jog knob instead of a scrub wheel is a bit of a let down. the buttons are all small. there should have been transport keys with buttons twice the width of those. it just doesn't seem like a whole lot for the price. there is no SSL shit in there that they are known for.. so not sure i would buy in on that one.
By Danoc Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 am
The Behr BCR wasn't feeling those so l stayed patient.

:shock: Yo l have the X Touch One. Built like a tank yet sleek. I have a vid for that too.
It controls Reason 11 to the fullest.

This what l've been waiting for. Ima have to get this.

Sense-A wrote:Yeah the UF8 looks nice. Behringer has the BCR2000 and BCF2000. They have the X-Touch too.

The novation zero sl mk2 has an editor that lets me make templates and assign CC values to rotaries and faders. Then I can save the preset. Like I said, though, it feels cheap like an m-audio product.

I can operate it stand alone to control synths, which I use it for. Haven't used it with the mpc yet.

I wish JJOS would implement foot switches as patch buttons so that I could turn each Q-Link slider into 4 controls depending on which foot switch i'm holding down. Like the patch buttons on ensoniq keyboards.
By Danoc Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:11 am
The motorized faders on this is top notch and no plastic caps on the faders.
Now the knob encoder they should of did a jog wheel so l agree on that note

SSL don't do wack.

Ima get this cause l want to start mixiing in S1v4.

mr_debauch wrote:yeah i saw that... it has pros and cons. the nice thing is it is square on the sides so if you do get several or they make other control surfaces, they will sit next to each other more seamlessly. on the other hand, out of the control surfaces with motorized faders i have seen over the years this one doesn't look quite as good. that jog knob instead of a scrub wheel is a bit of a let down. the buttons are all small. there should have been transport keys with buttons twice the width of those. it just doesn't seem like a whole lot for the price. there is no SSL **** in there that they are known for.. so not sure i would buy in on that one.
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:46 am
Danoc wrote:Ima get this cause l want to start mixiing in S1v4.

i feel ya, but if you didn't start yet... i doubt this is gonna change anything
By Danoc Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:55 am
Ummm yeah it will get me to mix in studio one. One of the dope functions l like is hovering your mouse over any software kmob in S1v4 and turn knobs using the encoder knob . l love that. No need to set cc to assign to that specific knob. That is bananas. Plus that encoder knob has multi functions.

So oh yeah it will change a lot.

mr_debauch wrote:
Danoc wrote:Ima get this cause l want to start mixiing in S1v4.

i feel ya, but if you didn't start yet... i doubt this is gonna change anything
By Sense-A Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 pm
How does the UF8 compare to the SSL Nucleus or Nucleus 2?

The UF8 only seems to be a control interface, whereas the Nucleus actually has preamps and can work standalone.

https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/hc/ ... Nucleus-2-

It's cool that you can connect up to 4 UF8's for 32 total channels.

I'm leaning toward the SSL Nucleus (can't afford either right now).

You get 16 channels automatically, aren't attached to the computer, and don't have to emulate much of what gives SSL its sound. Nice motorized faders. Best of both worlds.

By Danoc Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 am
Well bruh you can't compare the UF8 in price nor technology to the Nucleus. The Nucleus is beyond dope. But l don't need amps from it or the 16 channels. Is $3,789 versus 1,299 for the UF8. The Nucleus is to big for me hell lm trying to see where l can put the UF8 :lol: :lol:

You won't get an argument from me about the nucleus. I love the fact Nucleus can drive Reason :shock: holy sh**! I love that. :)
So l know down the line they will get Reason done for UF8.
By Danoc Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:36 pm
After some thinking l know how to adjust my table so UF8 can fit in my setup. Im going to find a table stand just to put my keyboard and put the UF8 , typing keyboard and mouse. When l find the table lm getting the UF8 :)

My homie got his now, he tried sneak and get it but l busted him lol hahaaaha
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 am
Danoc wrote:I love the fact Nucleus can drive Reason :shock: holy sh**! I love that. :)
So l know down the line they will get Reason done for UF8.

i think this is where i was confused earlier...... every control surface with motorized faders can drive reason out of the ones i have seen. many of them can hard boot in different standardized modes (mackie control mode for example) and every daw has one of those modes as a preset in the midi settings... some modes are more specific to certain features in certain daws... some control surfaces requires a bit of fiddling with those midi settings to get it lined up properly but after that you won't need to adjust a thing again.

I even had one rigged to fl studio years ago and i was able to browse the sample browser and send samples or pluggins into the project with out the mouse... just the jog wheel, arrow keys and the enter key.. i could autition everything in there without touching the mouse... the mouse was just to paint in notes in the piano roll. i was able to go through the file/edit/etc menus at the top with just the control surface.

i didn't spend as much time messing with what i could set it up to do in reason (back then i believe it was reason 4 that i had) but i was able to control the mixer no problem and the transport and all that... i could move the tape head around and all that stuff which was nice for editing on reason's shit piano roll.... anything to make that workflow a bit more fluid was welcomed.
By Danoc Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm
@DeBauch

I hear ya. Withe SSL UF8 they have concentrated direc9all the functions in in certain DAWs. Reason isn't on that list YET
:mrgreen: Reason has come a long way version 4 till Reason 11. Every channel gets the SSL channel strip in Reason 11. SSL with have a map specifically for Reason 11.
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:47 pm
yes! i have a friend who has really been thinking of going back to the reason camp after a few years of being over with other guys like logic pro and maschine.