For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By dabmeister Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:04 pm

Just curious, and I doubt if many folks around here are using this controller. But if you are, how is it, and any pros and cons you might want to add about it.
By dabmeister Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:03 pm
I noticed this just hit the market. I guess I'm one who would wait it out and see what the overall consensus is. Plus, I assume they'll make expansion units...it would be nice if they do.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:55 pm
dabmeister wrote:
I noticed this just hit the market. I guess I'm one who would wait it out and see what the overall consensus is. Plus, I assume they'll make expansion units...it would be nice if they do.

They should work well, considering they're built off the Nucleus 2 platform, which they're retiring. The units can be tethered together. I'm not a fan of the solo, mute, and select button being in between the faders. The lack of transport buttons can be solved by mapping some of the extra button.

This piece is designed to go in the center of the SSL Origin desk, which is a feature lots of user have been requesting. However it can be used a desktop piece for those who, are mixing in the box. All SSL needs now is a 8 to 16 channel audio interface, after the success of the SSL 2+.

The QCon Pro G2 Daw Controller, works well. Is there a reason you don't want the PRO X?
By Danoc Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:19 am
Im going to get it just for S1v4 cause l want to starrt mixing in S1V4 . Now that it has the gain knob so l can properly gain stage.

I don't know if they will do expansions, you can link 4 together to get 32 tracks. I won't go there . :hmmm: l know lm going to up my studio to a final setup. Let me be quiet l might end up wit all 4 :lol:

QCon is nice also cant front :smoker:

dabmeister wrote:
By dabmeister Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dabmeister wrote:

The QCon Pro G2 Daw Controller, works well. Is there a reason you don't want the PRO X?

No real reason atm. Pretty much window shopping and seeing what's out there. Plus I don't think I'm ready to pull the plug on going from hands on hardware to in the box. I just leaped into dealing with a digital DAW controlled mixer last year and haven't had the opportunity to dwell into that good. If and when I do go that route, I would have to do some serious upgrading to my audio interfaces and some other front end gear. Not quite ready for that right now, will stick with what I'm working with. Sh!t, I haven't even given my current setup a good run yet, have to wait and see what it can do before I make any decisions.
By dabmeister Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am
Danoc wrote:Im going to get it just for S1v4 cause l want to starrt mixing in S1V4 . Now that it has the gain knob so l can properly gain stage.

I don't know if they will do expansions, you can link 4 together to get 32 tracks. I won't go there . :hmmm: l know lm going to up my studio to a final setup. Let me be quiet l might end up wit all 4 :lol:

QCon is nice also cant front :smoker:

dabmeister wrote:

I noticed you've upgraded from mostly hardware to "all in the box", or at least that's what I'm gathering. I might do a second setup where I can dwell into using a smaller daw controlled unit and see what that type of environment has to offer.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:31 am
dabmeister wrote:
No real reason atm. Pretty much window shopping and seeing what's out there. Plus I don't think I'm ready to pull the plug on going from hands on hardware to in the box. I just leaped into dealing with a digital DAW controlled mixer last year and haven't had the opportunity to dwell into that good. If and when I do go that route, I would have to do some serious upgrading to my audio interfaces and some other front end gear. Not quite ready for that right now, will stick with what I'm working with. Sh!t, I haven't even given my current setup a good run yet, have to wait and see what it can do before I make any decisions.

I can understand that. Sometimes I will track and do all the preliminary mixes using software DAW. Then send the audio back to an analog mixer for buss/group mixing. It really all depends on how many AD/DA conversions I want to make.

Typical, I'll stay all analog until the end or track everything into the digital domain and stay there. But since I've gotten rid of 95% of external sound units, I'll keep everything in the digital domain for speed, consistency, convenience.
By dabmeister Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:40 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dabmeister wrote:

I can understand that. Sometimes I will track and do all the preliminary mixes using software DAW. Then send the audio back to an analog mixer for buss/group mixing. It really all depends on how many AD/DA conversions I want to make.

Typical, I'll stay all analog until the end or track everything into the digital domain and stay there. But since I've gotten rid of 95% of external sound units, I'll keep everything in the digital domain for speed, consistency, convenience.

Aside from your sound sources, I take you're still working with or have as an option, an analog board?
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:57 pm
dabmeister wrote:
Aside from your sound sources, I take you're still working with or have as an option, an analog board?

Yes, I'll use 500 series or the rack mount channels strips. If I need a large format console, I'll just block off some late night session time.
By dabmeister Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dabmeister wrote:

Yes, I'll use 500 series or the rack mount channels strips. If I need a large format console, I'll just block off some late night session time.

500 series...Cranborne Audio?
By Danoc Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:49 am
Yesssssiirrrr!

I went from harware producing i.e. MPC 2000XL , Triton, and other sound modules. Then a hybrid of HW & SW to inside the box only. What lead me there among other things is 0.0 Noise Floor! When l learned about zero noise floor no humiing cfrom electrical outlets etc l was sold! Its easier to mix sounds with no noise floor. I love being inside the box.

I will upgrade one more time my final stage. I will cotrol my DAWs with the UF8 SSL controller, and will continue to be ITB where l can work smoothly and comfortable.

dabmeister wrote:
I noticed you've upgraded from mostly hardware to "all in the box", or at least that's what I'm gathering. I might do a second setup where I can dwell into using a smaller daw controlled unit and see what that type of environment has to offer.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:58 am
dabmeister wrote:500 series...Cranborne Audio?

I use Radial Workhorse Powerhouse's Chassis for my 500 pieces. Compressors, Pre Amps, EQ have a much longer shelf life and aren't ruled by software updates.