For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By DeltaCharlie Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:47 am
Hi guys,
Yea another noob looking for answers.
I’ve been playing guitar and bass in bands for a long time now but thanks to a friend who created a surprisingly awesome house tune from samples of a funk demo I was working on in Logic I’m keen to have a go at producing.
I have a TR-8S and a SE-02 that I love messing around with so I’m not a total noob, as well as all the guitar and bass gear, monitors etc. But if I’m totally honest I don’t enjoy sitting in front of a computer for hours, so I’d like to ditch the laptop and maybe buy a MPC one.
I guess I would also need a mixer.
Any suggestions on best way to set up and connect the MPC one, TR8S, SE-02 and mixer.
Also any suggestions on which mixer?
Regards
Dom
By terry towelling Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:09 am
a few options--

1/ use just an audio interface with enough inputs in standalone mode (motu ultra lite would work).
2/ mixer plus audio interface.
3/ mixer that has built in audio interface (tascam make one, so do sound craft I think. probably lots of other mixers that also have built in audio interfaces).

I'd go with option one. you can jam along with all three instruments and sample away wth just the audio interface in stand alone mode, no computer connected. buying a decent mixer costs money, and doesn't add much functionality if you will be recording into a daw at some point.

if you want to have nothing to do with a computer, then get a mixer, plus a two channel digital audio recorder (tascam DR range or zoom). that's the way I do it. but, it's just because I started out before there were daws and have never changed.
By NearTao Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm
Zoom H4 or Zoom H6 are surprisingly good solutions for what you're looking to do and can get you both away from a computer, and wouldn't necessarily require an MPC out of the gate for what you're looking to do.

If you're going to add in the MPC One though, you may want the Zoom H6 just so you can multi track record more instruments without needing to do as many awkward Inst 1 Out -> Inst 2 In -> Inst 2 Out -> Zoom (or other multi track recorder)...

All that said... an MPC is a fine piece of gear, the One is absolutely solid, but it might be worth considering the Live for portability, or the X for the dual stereo inputs as well. At least look at the used market and see if the prices work for you or are too far of a stretch.
By DokBrown Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm
Unless u want to chop/sample/sequence, I don’t think u need an MPC. assuming u got guitar licks, there’s quite a range of sounds u can get from the instruments you already have. Consider partnering with some1 who already has/knows an MPC.

Sounds like u need a good recorder/mixer.

My favorite recorder: fostex & tascam

Dirt cheap
https://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM/DP- ... astudio.gc

My favorite mixers:
Yamaha MG series with the built-in compressorS
Mackie is gold standard
Peavey not bad
Last edited by DokBrown on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DokBrown Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:58 pm
BTW – u prolly want a DAW JUST so u can collab with other artists.
this will allow u to share PROJECTS over the internet/splice

https://support.splice.com/hc/en-us/art ... th-Splice-
Last edited by DokBrown on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By DokBrown Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 pm
I just realized u have LOGIC so ignore the DAW advice