For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By turnipwagon Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:39 pm
Hello All,

I'm new to the MPC and the forum and wonder if you can help?

I have an MPC One and I am trying to set it up with the ADAT XT multitrack via MIDI (MTC and MMC). I am struggling to set the MPC One as a slave so that it is locked to and triggered by the ADAT. I have the MPC One set to receive MTC and MMC but it doens't seem to receive any info and I can't see how to set it as a slave. I can kind of manage it the other way round where the ADAT is the slave and the MPC One is the master with the MPC One midi output port set to Sync, so I think the right connections with cables etc are in place.
Any ideas how I need to set the MPC One as a Slave to the ADAT XT Multitrack?

This is the gear I'm using:

MPC > MOTU Midi timepiece II (MIDI patchbay) > JL Cooper Data Master > ADAT XT

Many thanks in advance!

I also have the ADAT XT linked via optical cable to the Yamaha 03D mixer - I often get a YGDAI input SYNC Error with lots of popping from the mixer despite the mixer and ADAT both being set to 48Khz. Any ideas about how to fix this? Do i need some other Word Clock equipment. The mixer and ADAT are only connected via optical cables.
By Eurikon Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:18 am
Hi, i can't answer your complete question.

But one small hint to take into notice, the MPC hardware is fixed to 44.1Khz
This is one of my current issues with the MPC as well, , as the rest of my adat rig is all working in 48Khz

If you want to use the MPC with ADAT at this moment you will have to switch to 44.1Khz

Fort the orignal question regards sync, if this is about midi/mtc sync, then normally this should work without too much hassle fuss.
Settings -> Sync Receive -> MTC (or MIDI clock)

Hope this helps!
By turnipwagon Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:12 pm
Hi Eurikon,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. I'll use a different ADAT tape formatted to 44.1 and set the 03D to 44.1 also and see if that stops the popping when in use with the MPC. Cheers for that.
Regarding the MIDI sync, I'll just keep on fiddling about. The patchbay confuses things a little - I'll try with direct MIDI connections.
May I ask, how do you have your MIDI input / output options set if you want to slave the MPC?
For input - Master, Control, Track
For output - Sync, Track

All the best,

Ben
By dabmeister Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:44 pm
I use to use my XT20 slaved to Cubase/Nuendo using my MTP A/V. But the one thing I never saw in your post was the use of Clock Works which allows you to set certain parameters within your MOTU. But if I'm wrong please enlighten me.

Oh, I also use a master clock gen in my setup for reliable clock sync.
By turnipwagon Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:36 am
Hi Dabmeister,
Thanks for your input. I'm running the MOTU in standalone mode as I don't have a mac and cannot figure out how to connect it to a PC... I have tried :) I'll check if I can modify the clock settings from the front panel. Seems to me that there is something not right with the word clock setup.

Cheers!
By dabmeister Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:25 am
turnipwagon wrote:Hi Dabmeister,
Thanks for your input. I'm running the MOTU in standalone mode as I don't have a mac and cannot figure out how to connect it to a PC... I have tried :) I'll check if I can modify the clock settings from the front panel. Seems to me that there is something not right with the word clock setup.

Cheers!

No problem. I think your unit has a legacy parallel port. If I'm not mistaken you'll need a usb to DB25 cable. Check the web, Microcenter, eBay, Amazon, etc.

But to confirm what I reiterated previously, this is from the horses mouth (MOTU).

Clockworks is used for cable routing (like a MIDI patchbay), as well as other settings such as pedal settings, sync settings, etc. If you only plan to use your interface with a MIDI sequencer, the sequncer will handle all routings and no changes should be made to your interface's default routings. Any changes you do make would interfere with your sequencer's ability to use the interface for MIDI I/O.

The following interfaces are compatible with Clockworks (assuming there are compatible drivers for that interface in the OS you're running)... Digital Timepiece, MTP II, MTP AV, Express XT, Micro Express. The following interfaces are not compatible with Clockworks. If you have these interfaces you don't need to install clockworks on your computer... Fastlane, Pocket Express, Express 128, Micro Lite.

So my suggestion to you would be to go to the MOTU website, register and look up the downloads page for the MTP A/V. From there you'll see three pages offering s/w downloads for mac & pc.
By dabmeister Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:56 am
To Turnipwagon,

I was wrong about the MTP II having a DB25 port, I think it's 1/4 inch jacks for LTC I/O. If this is the case, you're better off grabbing a used MTP A/V USB because you're destine for headaches dealing with that. I think you'll need to add an additional time code converter in between the MTP II & your XT. After going through all of that, I doubt if it's really worth the headache.

The MTP A/V has a dedicated serial sync port on the back specifically for syncing the XT. This makes for an easier, trouble free connection without adding additional hardware.
By dabmeister Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:10 pm

Fortunately I still have two versions of the A/V. To give you a snap shot of the differences and the dedicated "Adat sync out", this should help.

Top: parallel

bottom: usb
By dabmeister Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:37 pm
turnipwagon wrote:Hi Dabmeister!

Thanks a lot for getting back to me with this info and the pics! Much appreciated. I'll keep my eyes pealed for an MTP AV USB

Thanks again!!

Ben

No problem, glad you're making the upgrade. Oh, and make sure the unit you plan to purchase has a serial number that starts with "MXT".

Units that start with "MEXT or MXXTU" can't have their firmware updated to the latest versions.

I had MOTU send me an eprom to upgrade my unit when I first got it since it had version 1.02 s/w or something and it qualified to be upgraded to 2.01.