For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Christov Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:04 am
Hey everyone,

Due to a big renovation of my attic being necessary pretty soon I need to move an entire floor of my house. Good moment to declutter, and so we've been throwing away alot of old shit. On that attic also is my small homestudio and I think its about time to declutter that and combine my home studio with my home office to save some spa r.

Since covid I've been working out of the house for a long time now and since I bought two screens, a bracket and a docking station I can work fairly well from home, got a regular mouse and keyboard hooked up to my worklaptop so that's all good.

Since a couple of years I kinda got the hardware bug after working an office job and wanting too spend less time behind a pc in my free time. At the moment I got the following stuff:
- computer
- mackie mixer
- m-audio audio interface
- sl1200
- rack dj mixer
- vestax dj mixer
- dbx eq
- focal monitors
- zoar studiodesk
- mpc 2500
- mpc one
- microkorg
- microkorg xlplus
- ensoniq eps 16 plus
- akai s950

Since I got the mpc one I basically haven't used all the gear in cursive and although it doesn't take up too much space, it's hard to justify the footprint all the shit takes up.

I figure out that if I sell my 2500 I really don't need either microkorgs - since I only use them for basslines and the one's bass synth is got enough for that - although I'd definitly keep the OG version outta nostalgia and as a midikeyboard (the way I've been using it since I got the one). The m-audio interface also could go since I don't need to track out any beats anymore. That 950 isn't going anywhere, but that ensoniq can go, as much as I love its sound, it makes more sense to get a rackmodel for the way that I use it. And when I started thinking like that, I figured out I could sell alot of stuff and end up with enough stuff that I could still make beats with and could combine it with my home office which would make sense. Saves alot of space, which is always a good thing in my book.

I've sold some gear in the past without too much remorse, but If i'd sell what I don't use and need anymore this would basicly mean I can get rid of half my shit and could reinvest in a new computer and soundcard.

Anyone over here has ever sold of alot of their gear and how do you look back on it?

Has anyone ever combined home office and home stuildio? What are do's and don'ts?

Basicly, this could be a radical overhaul and I don't want too have very much regrets. Any idea's / tips / pointers are very much welcome!
By NearTao Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:42 pm
Christov wrote:Anyone over here has ever sold of alot of their gear and how do you look back on it?

I've sold off a ton of gear over the years, so can give you some advice to consider. I definitely look back on it as overwhelmingly the right decision to make.

* All this gear is stuff, and mostly replaceable. If you really miss something you can most likely buy a replacement.
* Reducing the amount of gear you have also reduces your overall maintenance.
* Having less gear means that you can make more mental space for the gear you keep.

Now let's say that you sell off most or all of what you're thinking about getting rid of. If you keep the S950, my guess is that with less gear you're more likely to reach for the S950 because as you tighten up your studio the more valuable each individual piece becomes because you have fewer options to consider. For me it is in the space of making music or making a museum.

Best advice I can give is to not be afraid if you sell something, but if something holds sentimental value to you maybe consider what you're really holding onto it for, and if it is time for it to go, then give it a big "thank you" send off.

Christov wrote:Has anyone ever combined home office and home stuildio? What are do's and don'ts?

Absolutely in this situation right now. My office and my music gear are in the same space, though they are not connected to each other. If I really want to do something on the computer it means exporting to stems, or running a long enough USB to hook up to the MPC. Not directly a big deal, but it does help keep me from bouncing back and forth or getting distracted by one or the other.
By Christov Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:59 am
Thanx for the long reply NearTao, what you say makes absolute sense.

NearTao wrote:Absolutely in this situation right now. My office and my music gear are in the same space, though they are not connected to each other. If I really want to do something on the computer it means exporting to stems, or running a long enough USB to hook up to the MPC. Not directly a big deal, but it does help keep me from bouncing back and forth or getting distracted by one or the other.

I was thinking of solving it by building a sort of slide-door cabinet that would be big enough to put in the microkorg, s950 and mpc one so that I don't get distracted during work time, and that when I want to make some beats I can easily slide it all out. And on top of that I could put my monitors, my screens and the summing mixer.

Did some small wood projects in the past, but I've never tried anything like this. If it would work it would be ideal.

Let's stalk the guys at the hardware store for advice haha.
By DokBrown Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:34 pm
If I don’t use in 1-2 years, I def sell it.
Limitations create productivity

Are you a collector or a musician ?
I doubt you are both
By terry towelling Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:40 am
I would not sell the EPS16+. it's a unique and beautiful sounding unit. if you aren't using it, wrap it in an old sheet and put it away in the back of a cupboard. it will only go up in price. meaning that if you regret selling it, you'll pay more to buy it back. and the longer you do hold on to it, more the more you will get for it.

personally, I'd sell everything else and just keep the eps and interface.
By Ill-Green Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:28 am
Keep only the stuff that you know is sure shot use daily. Sell the stuff you bought and kept for a rainy day that only saw use its first day out the box. If you didn't connect it since, then sell them. Who cares if it's a legacy device, don't keep paper weights.
By Lampdog Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:10 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Who cares if it's a legacy device, don't keep paper weights.

My 4k (in the closet, next to the 2kxl, next to the ASR-10) doesn’t like your thinking.
By HanHuman Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:27 pm
Christov wrote:Hey everyone,
Anyone over here has ever sold of alot of their gear and how do you look back on it?

Having the hardest time letting gear go in general, but I would suggest (unless you need the money) to wait just to make sure you won't want to come back to it months or in few years. Cause the entry ticket for "vintage" gear is pretty much exponential so you might not be able to get some of them back.
Has anyone ever combined home office and home stuildio? What are do's and don'ts?

I'm in this configuration and ended up with a setup that is still practical but not too too intrusive when I need to get work done. I'd say as long as what's in front of you isn't too distractive, you're good. :wink:
Posted my crammed up setup in the crib thread.
By Christov Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:17 am
Thanks for all the honoust replies guys! I decided I'm gonna sell gear in phases. Probably sold the EPS16plus already, made a nice little profit so that's nice. Gonna put that money away and wait for a rackversion to come along.

HanHuman wrote:

I'm in this configuration and ended up with a setup that is still practical but not too too intrusive when I need to get work done. I'd say as long as what's in front of you isn't too distractive, you're good. :wink:
Posted my crammed up setup in the crib thread.

I just saw your studio just before I opened this thread. Looks nice, although it still would distract me - the guitarcorner thing.

I must say, the idea you got with the shelf too slide the mpc underneath looks nice and very doable! Something to take in consideration.
By HanHuman Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:33 pm
Christov wrote:I must say, the idea you got with the shelf too slide the mpc underneath looks nice and very doable! Something to take in consideration.

Yea it is the most "zero skill required" solution to create extra room on a desk, yet still practical. With VESA stands for monitors to free the space underneath.
Good idea for the rack version of the EPS 16+, less mechanical parts involved, will probably last longer.
Got it, love it. Creates magical sounds, especially with the integrated effects!
By Christov Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:50 pm
HanHuman wrote:Good idea for the rack version of the EPS 16+, less mechanical parts involved, will probably last longer.
Got it, love it. Creates magical sounds, especially with the integrated effects!

Yeah I love the sound of it, but I can't play worth shit so having a full fledged 61 key workstation is kinda too much. Let's hope I can find a rack version sometime soon.
By Menco Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:37 pm
Store some of the gear you are thinking to get rid off, and focus on the smaller setup. If there are pieces that you don't miss after a couple of months you'll know you're ready for it to sell them.

BTW, if you really want to sell the S950 I'm highly interested in buying it from you, ik woon namelijk ook in Nederland!
By Christov Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:41 pm
Menco wrote:BTW, if you really want to sell the S950 I'm highly interested in buying it from you, ik woon namelijk ook in Nederland!

Nah the 950 is staying. Erg fijne bak! En leuk om te zien dat er hier meer Nederlanders zitten.