For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By joegrant413 Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:35 pm
Good news, Sweetwater has shipped my MPC Key 61 for arrival in the next couple of days.

So I know the Key 61 has a couple of XLR inputs and USB Audio/MIDI input, and more. No mini-jack inputs or RCA inputs.

I routinely use guitar, bass, and have been using iPad. At the very least, I need my iPad for rehearsal tracks. Ideally, I could leave an instrument cable in all the time to minimize setup time playing guitar or bass.

Any tips on how best to hook up my gear as inputs to the Key 61?

Thanks,
Joe

P.S. I also have a USB hub, Apollo Jam interface for guitar-to-USB, and iPad Camera Connection. But to start, I don't plan to have the MPC talking MIDI with external gear or iOS apps.
By joegrant413 Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:53 pm
Thanks, Sense-A!

For the last couple of years, I've been using a Tascam DP-24SD Portastudio as my audio interface and mixer. Right now the outputs go the PA. I could run them to the MPC 61.

The only downside it's another piece of hardware. One of my goals with the MPC Key 61 was to simplify my setup.

Do you think it's simpler to keep the TASCAM for the mixer and audio interface?

- Joe
By Lampdog Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:34 pm
Sense-A wrote:I would run all instruments to a mixer.

If you want to sample an instrument, patch it into the mpc 61.

Midi the keyboard to the other instruments and use mpc 61 for sequencing the other instruments.

I'd do this same thing.

Keep the Tascam.
By Sense-A Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:03 am
joegrant413 wrote:Thanks, Sense-A!
I've been using a Tascam DP-24SD Portastudio as my audio interface and mixer.

- Joe

I looked that thing up online and it's newer than most of the gear i have.

You could take main outs and passively or actively split them out.

Run a stereo signal into a headphone amplifier and you could get maybe 4 stereo outs

Or if one of your devices has a tape out or auxiliary out then you can use that.