For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By DannyNL Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:24 pm
Case: You have your standalone MPC setup with an external interface and several outboard synths/drummachines.

Unless you have a dual function interface, you can only connect that interface to either the MPC or the computer. When the interface is connected to the the computer, you have to use mpc in controller mode and route the channels into the MPC, using the computer as the soundengine. It's another project routing you cannot simply reopen in standalone. Both modes come with these type of restrictions/limitations, which I didn't like.

So, what if you want to keep working in standalone and still bounce seperate tracks to the daw?

If your external interface has an adat out port, you can simply route any track from the MPC to an adat channel, mono or stereo. For this to work, you need a 2nd dedicated audio interface that is hooked up to the the computer, with a adat-in port.

I'm using the MPC one with the UMC1820, which sends 4 stereo or 8 monotracks thru the adat to the Audient iD14.

Why so? The 8 inputs of the UMC1820 can NOT be routed to the adat outs by default, it needs a usb host (MPC) to route to channels 13-20.

Note: Adding the ADA8200 does expand the UMC1820 i/o count. Or, when just connecting the ADA8200 adat out tot the UMC1820 adat, give you 8 DIRECT ins. If you only use a few inputs on the UMC1820 adding the ADA8200 for utilising the adat channels, you're way less flexible than routing what and wherever you want from the MPC.

Are you using a similar way of something else to track in standalone? Let me know!
By EnochLight Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:59 pm
DannyNL wrote:Case: You have your standalone MPC setup with an external interface and several outboard synths/drummachines.

Unless you have a dual function interface, you can only connect that interface to either the MPC or the computer. When the interface is connected to the the computer, you have to use mpc in controller mode and route the channels into the MPC, using the computer as the soundengine. It's another project routing you cannot simply reopen in standalone. Both modes come with these type of restrictions/limitations, which I didn't like.

So, what if you want to keep working in standalone and still bounce seperate tracks to the daw?

If your external interface has an adat out port, you can simply route any track from the MPC to an adat channel, mono or stereo. For this to work, you need a 2nd dedicated audio interface that is hooked up to the the computer, with a adat-in port.

I'm using the MPC one with the UMC1820, which sends 4 stereo or 8 monotracks thru the adat to the Audient iD14.

Why so? The 8 inputs of the UMC1820 can NOT be routed to the adat outs by default, it needs a usb host (MPC) to route to channels 13-20.

Note: Adding the ADA8200 does expand the UMC1820 i/o count. Or, when just connecting the ADA8200 adat out tot the UMC1820 adat, give you 8 DIRECT ins. If you only use a few inputs on the UMC1820 adding the ADA8200 for utilising the adat channels, you're way less flexible than routing what and wherever you want from the MPC.

Are you using a similar way of something else to track in standalone? Let me know!

Interesting approach! Would love to see a photo or video of this setup. What are you routing all of your outboard gear to? What do you have?
By DannyNL Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm
In short, all outboarders go into the UMC1820 to MPC audiotracks, then to the group busses with sends, controlled with the launchcontrol, master out to id14, into daw with mastering chain, back out to speakers/PA. For tracking I'm using the above method.
to get an idea :)

(The interface, thru boxes, overhub usb and cables are all mounted under the temple audio board)