For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By EnochLight Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:27 pm
mikem wrote:I had that issue of cracking/popping (with a Model 16), try to hook up the Tascam to a computer and increase the buffer size, that solved it for me.

Isn't the buffer setting indicative of the device you're hooked to (for instance, you computer)? You're saying that changing the buffer on your computer for your Model 12 causes a "save-state" in standalone for other USB Class Compliant devices that it's hooked to?? :hmmm: I mean, if that's the case - that's pretty sweet - and a glaring thing that was missed by everyone complaining about pop/click.
By mikem Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:33 pm
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that the buffer size is a setting that's stored on the device. Otherwise I can't explain why it works for me now. Would be great if some of you guys here could test it, I'm very interested to see if it works for someone else.
By David Lee Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:23 pm
kidkeitel wrote:cracks and pops with the model 12 used as an audio interface.

I have the same issue here.

Here is the demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPPLAj7wlo

Phenomenon:

All the sounds come from Akai MPC One will randomly and frequently trigger the crack sound

What I have tried:

1. Same sample rate (44.1khz) and bit depth (tried 16bits & 24bits)
2. Akai MPC has updated to the latest firmware 2.11.5 & Tascam Model 12 has updated to the latest firmware 1.30 too
3. Tried buffer size 512, and used Windows Tascam Model Mixer software to increase buffer size up to 2048 samples
By Romain Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:26 pm
I have the same issue also :(
I read somewhere that people got these problems since the firmware 2.11.5. Is someone can confirm ?
Some people tried with the 2.11.6 ? Is it working ?
If not, how do you downgrade to 2.11.4 ? Is it risky ?
By EnochLight Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:48 pm
David Lee wrote:I have the same issue here.

Here is the demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPPLAj7wlo

Phenomenon:

All the sounds come from Akai MPC One will randomly and frequently trigger the crack sound

What I have tried:

1. Same sample rate (44.1khz) and bit depth (tried 16bits & 24bits)
2. Akai MPC has updated to the latest firmware 2.11.5 & Tascam Model 12 has updated to the latest firmware 1.30 too
3. Tried buffer size 512, and used Windows Tascam Model Mixer software to increase buffer size up to 2048 samples

Your second issue in that video (when you're using Spotify and then start playing a video from your Photos App) has nothing to do with your MPC or USB Class Compliant audio - that's an issue with iOS/the iPhone and its Lightening-to-Analog adapter. I've had that happen to me before without the MPC or anything.

Anyway, I encourage both you and Romain to try the new 2.11.6 firmware with your Model 12's and see if it's any better...
By PhatBob Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:48 am
I unfortunately can confirm that I have the same issue of random glitches running 2.11.6!!
I'm going to downgrade to 2.11.4. By the way, when downgrading the MPC HW, do I need to match the desktop software to the sale version?
Any link to DL both Soft and Firm 2.11.4?

Hope AKAI will fix this ASAP
By frankie13 Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:41 pm
I also have had to downgrade to 2.11.4 as it is the last Firmware version that the Model 12 works properly.

Nothing special involved in downgrading, but it's a bummer not to be able to try any of the new instruments.

Hopefully they fix this as it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence--two updates (12.11.5 and 2.11.6) that break a heavily advertised feature on the one interface, TASCAM Model 12, that they actually demo the feature on.
By EnochLight Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:43 pm
PhatBob wrote:I unfortunately can confirm that I have the same issue of random glitches running 2.11.6!!
I'm going to downgrade to 2.11.4. By the way, when downgrading the MPC HW, do I need to match the desktop software to the sale version?
Any link to DL both Soft and Firm 2.11.4?

Hope AKAI will fix this ASAP

frankie13 wrote:I also have had to downgrade to 2.11.4 as it is the last Firmware version that the Model 12 works properly.

Nothing special involved in downgrading, but it's a bummer not to be able to try any of the new instruments.

Hopefully they fix this as it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence--two updates (12.11.5 and 2.11.6) that break a heavily advertised feature on the one interface, TASCAM Model 12, that they actually demo the feature on.

Are both of you running at 44.1 Khz and 16-bit on your MPC's? I'd also try hooking your Model 12's up to your computers and raising the buffer setting using Tascam's drivers to see if that addresses your issues.
By frankie13 Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:08 pm
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have done the buffer setting, that improved things awhile back (2.10 maybe?).
I’m not going to start running sessions at 16 bit when 24 bit works fine up to 2.11.4. The problem is clearly on Akai’s end.
Right now it’s only a mild annoyance, but it would be nice to be able to update and take advantage of new features one of these days.
By frankie13 Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:55 pm
Just for fun I updated to 2.11.6 again as I had never tried at 16bit. After resetting preferences, and then creating a new 16 bit song on the Tascam, unfortunately, I get the same result: consistent digital artifacts on playback.
By PhatBob Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 am
Finally I decided to downgrade to 2.11.4. And it works perfectly
My conclusions/tests :
2.11.6: glitches
2.11.5: glitches
2.11.4: OK
I’m currently running MPC 2.11.6 on my laptop (OSX 10.15) along with the MPC Live 2 os 2.11.4 and I didn’t face any incompatibilités for now.
Hope this helps
By ocagiokas Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:51 pm
PhatBob wrote:Finally I decided to downgrade to 2.11.4. And it works perfectly
My conclusions/tests :
I’m currently running MPC 2.11.6 on my laptop (OSX 10.15) along with the MPC Live 2 os 2.11.4 and I didn’t face any incompatibilités for now.
Hope this helps

Same!
By JMC Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:34 am
PhatBob wrote:Finally I decided to downgrade to 2.11.4. And it works perfectly
My conclusions/tests :
Hope this helps

Thank you! This appears to work perfectly for me too.

Interestingly, the official MPC One page's big red 'download' new firmware button right at the top of the page downloads the 2.11.4 firmware, not the 2.11.6 version. Guessing Akai are well aware of the issue and promoting 2.11.4 as the more reliable firmware for now.