For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By DJ_GodsOwn Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:09 am
Hi all,

I've seen people on the MPC Gang FB group show that they just picked up a Tascam Model 12, and I was wondering what use cases would one get out of pairing this mixer/controller with a MPC One? What would it allow me to do? Could I play my sequences through the MPC One and be recording on the Tascam while applying FX generated by the Tascam? Basically I'd like to know a few things it can do when paired with the MPC One that would make it worth a purchase. TIA for replies. L8z :worthy:
By Lampdog Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:40 am
You tracks on ONE can be controlled with the Tascam mixer right?
The tascam would be for a tactile feel. For someone who wants the feel of a real mixer is my guess.
By tequilatram Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:56 pm
I have a Live 2 connected to my Model 12 and take advantage of a couple of things:

Multiple device sampling; everything plugged into the mixer can be sampled/routed to the Mpc.
DAW control; The Model 12s slider and knobs can control the MPC.
Multiple output; the MPC can send multiple audio tracks out to Model 12 for multitrack recording.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:55 pm
DJ_GodsOwn wrote:Hi all,

I've seen people on the MPC Gang FB group show that they just picked up a Tascam Model 12, and I was wondering what use cases would one get out of pairing this mixer/controller with a MPC One? What would it allow me to do? Could I play my sequences through the MPC One and be recording on the Tascam while applying FX generated by the Tascam? Basically I'd like to know a few things it can do when paired with the MPC One that would make it worth a purchase. TIA for replies. L8z :worthy:

MPC One only has a single stereo output and 2 inputs. Using any compatible Class Compliant USB Audio Interface - like the Tascam Model 12 - takes over the audio interface duties, so in your case it would add a ton of outputs and tactile mixer control. Whether it's worth it to you or not depends on how much value you place in having 12 mono (or 6 stereo) outputs on your MPC One. Do you need that for your use case, or is it a mild curiosity? :hmmm:
By mikem Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:49 pm
I don't think it's worth it for you at this point. The effects on the Tascams are completely forgettable (usually mixer effects are crap in this price range), you've got much better effects on the MPC, and with much more control. If you want the feeling of a mixer a MIDI controller with a few sliders would do the job just as well. And you can always export the different tracks into a DAW and mix there, if the MPC doesn't offer enough power in terms of mixing.

That doesn't mean that an external mixer is useless. It gets very useful once you have more external gear, you can plug that into the mixer and sample directly from the channel into the MPC, without having to constantly juggle cables. Even then an audio interface might be a better idea than a mixer, it all depends on your use case. But unless you have external gear it's not worth it to buy either, I'd say.

Edit:

As a use case example: I have 5 synths here (plus a modular) and a Tascam Model 16. Everything is connected to the mixer, and I can play every synth at the same time if I want to. So for that alone I need a mixer. Where this USB connection becomes awesome is when sampling or applying MPC effects to external gear.

For example, I have my Neutron connected to Channel 3 in the mixer. I just select Input 3 in the MPC and sample it, without ever having to plug in a cable. Or I set an audio track to Input 3 and put a reverb on it. Done. This is beautiful to work with and totally worth it.

So, in my opinion at least, an external mixer is not so much about mixing the stuff that's already in the MPC, but much more useful when you think about having external gear that you want to get into the MPC.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:48 pm
mikem wrote:But unless you have external gear it's not worth it to buy either, I'd say.

Edit:

As a use case example: I have 5 synths here (plus a modular) and a Tascam Model 16. Everything is connected to the mixer, and I can play every synth at the same time if I want to. So for that alone I need a mixer. Where this USB connection becomes awesome is when sampling or applying MPC effects to external gear.

For example, I have my Neutron connected to Channel 3 in the mixer. I just select Input 3 in the MPC and sample it, without ever having to plug in a cable. Or I set an audio track to Input 3 and put a reverb on it. Done. This is beautiful to work with and totally worth it.

So, in my opinion at least, an external mixer is not so much about mixing the stuff that's already in the MPC, but much more useful when you think about having external gear that you want to get into the MPC.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
By DJ_GodsOwn Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:45 pm
So I ended up picking up a Tascam Model 12 from a reputable online retailer with a 6 mo payment plan. I received it last Friday and I love it. I've connected it to my MPC One, and it's really improved my workflow. I'm able to assign the programs in my different tracks to an input on the Tascam, and fade them in and out or EQ them as I record the entire song to the SD card in the Tascam. From there I can take the SD card file and load it onto my computer and do final mastering in Reason 11. I've got my mic hooked up to the Tascam for vocals, and when I get this Roland synth I've been wanting, I'll connect that to one of the inputs as well. I think it's been a great buy and it's definitely worth more than just connecting devices.
By collargrip_cristian Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:51 am
K. Rah wrote:
kidkeitel wrote:cracks and pops with the model 12 used as an audio interface.

Works fine for me long as sample rates match.

When you sample, record audio tracks, or use the looper through it there are no cracks and pops?
By DJ_GodsOwn Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:33 pm
K. Rah wrote:
kidkeitel wrote:cracks and pops with the model 12 used as an audio interface.

Works fine for me long as sample rates match.

I also do not have this issue. The new song has to be at 44khz and 16 bit to match my MPC One.
By Ultros Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:42 pm
MPC Gang can suck a D lol. Worst group ever. It's bad enough we gotta deal with markdof zuckler, then we gotta take schtick from a youtuber as well.
By Yerbalist Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:18 am
If MPC is your main tool and centerpiece in arrangements you better off with some control surface, get to Midi Control and get those faders and mute buttons mapped MPC to submixes or whatever, saves menu diving to mixer section when you want to work quickly. Not woth it cuz, AIR onboard effects are "decent enough" to say it lightly. You got external gear, then sure that would do the job I guess otherwise its useless imo, ext USB sound route is still not well handled by AKAI
By mikem Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:38 am
I had that issue of cracking/popping (with a Model 16), try to hook up the Tascam to a computer and increase the buffer size, that solved it for me.