For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By robleighton22 Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:21 am
Ok possibly a dumb question. But in controller mode, can I have the MPC One audio interface + Model 12 interface as an Aggregate interface on my Mac? Basically using outputs 1-8 for my S2400, 9-10 for my System 8 and then want the additional output from my MPC in controller mode. Speakers are attached to master out of Model 12. Couldn't get the MPc to play sound out of 11-12 output. Think I'm doing something stupid but can't work out how to get the MPC to make sound out of the aggregate device output.
By robleighton22 Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:21 am
Ignore the above gibberish, turns out the best setup was standalone. s2400 outs into model 12 analog inputs and then Model 12 USB into MPC. This allows me to build drums on the S2400, melodies on MPC, then record my drums into my MPC. Then I can switch the mix to USB mode per track and mix 8 sub mixes from the MPC out into the Model 12 SD card for stems and master mix. So happy with this config. Using the Model 12 to EQ the submixes from the MPC has been an eye opener.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:42 pm
Right as I started problem solving in my head I read you second post and it’s exactly what I would have tried. I has a Tascam M-164 that was given to me and I’ve been fighting the urge to get a Model12 (it’s a want, not a need). I also have an S2400 and X. I’d be doing the SAME thing your doing if I buy a Model 12.
By robleighton22 Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:58 pm
Ive had a feeling that S2400 and MPC would be a sick combo. Since owning my S2400 it's become my favourite bit of kit, from sound, hardware and workflow. But it's midi capabilities and lack of FX are it's weakness. New MPCs for better or worse have become sound source and FX monsters. Whilst I prefer arranging a song on S2400, the approach is similar enough on the MPC, which has all the mixing FX needed to polish a track (or turd, hehe). So MPC prob is the more practical tool overall to complete a track outside a computer.

The fact Model 12 allows me to essentially mix all outs from BOTH devices with the flick of a switch is really cool. I can also still sample and process my MPC into S2400 to make use of its aliasing low pitched sounds just by switching channels 9/10 to USB (=MPC) las the sub outs are plugged back into the S2400. So also have option to add FX, sounds and use S2400 exclusively. If your other Tascam device allows for that sort of routing then maybe no need to upgrade? I think the USB audio routing post EQs is unique to Model 12 but could be wrong.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:49 pm
I’m wanting to see the S2400 efx board in action (still being developed).
Very interested in that too.
By robleighton22 Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:54 pm
Same the FX and Filter cards are very exciting but hope the get bug fixes os update first. There are some annoying bugs, particularly gain settings resetting back to zero.

Having a Model 12 MPC issue with the latest MPC OS, but might me. Getting feedback/aliasing type sound on channels 1 and 2 only in USB mode. Not at home but could this be because master channel is also set to 1 and 2? If so do I just set master to an unused channel? Only thing I could think of.

Also it occasionally just stops making sound. If I switch to internal sound card and switch back it works again. Anyone else have this?
By robleighton22 Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:55 pm
yup this is very very buggy with Model 12 on latest OS (1.3) and MPC latest OS. On one progect I get the artifacts/feedback on just usb outputs 1/2. I have since setup a fresh template with all my outputs arranged from fresh - worked fine for about 10 mins, then I got some artefacts and then sound just stopped completely.

disappointing really - can't use the Model 12 as intended with the MPC.
By Ultros Fri May 12, 2023 1:15 pm
How the model 12 became a popular mpc periphreal is beyond me. I've read nothing but shitty reviews on it. Tascam imho is a trash company who for the most part makes antiquated recording technology and still manages to sell it somehow.
By MPC-Tutor Fri May 12, 2023 1:40 pm
Ultros wrote:How the model 12 became a popular mpc periphreal is beyond me.

Because it's the one they used in Akai's original MPC USB interface promo video. Just like everyone seems to have an RSHTECH usb hub, as that was the one used in the 2.8 USB MIDI promo video.

I think the Model 12 is actually okay for what it is, but there's a few bits and pieces they need to sort out IMO. I have one here, I have it configured within an aggregate device with my Arturia Audiofuse Studio and 8Pre, gives me 32 ins/28 outs
By Menco Sun May 14, 2023 7:19 am
Ultros wrote:How the model 12 became a popular mpc periphreal is beyond me. I've read nothing but shitty reviews on it. Tascam imho is a trash company who for the most part makes antiquated recording technology and still manages to sell it somehow.

It's a decent hardware mixer that also functions as an audio/ midi interface and standalone multitrack recorder for a decent price.

I had mine before they teamed up with Akai. I just love having a mixer for multiple reasons, and this one allows me to either mix on the board or multitrack through it to mix down in DAW. I paired it up with the One a couple of times. Have to admit it doesn't feel as intuitive and imo isn't as groundbreaking as some people think it is.
By Menco Fri May 19, 2023 6:58 pm
Ultros wrote:the irony is that inmusic makes these.

Never heard of this brand and mixer, while I was slapped silly with the Model 12 before it came out. Marketing, marketing, marketing I guess.

Still it isn't the same. The Alto Live 2404 only supports a stereo in and output over USB instead of separate multiple tracks. For me personally the size wouldn't work for me either.
By Menco Thu May 25, 2023 9:35 am
Ultros wrote:yup cant argue. i must have overlooked that. weird. why even make it lol.

I think this one was made for whole other purpose and more focused for live usage at smaller venues and church with the convenient option to record a session in case anybody wants a copy from a certain gig or service.

I know my father had quite a collection with recordings on tapes of special church services, and I remember quite a number of people always requesting a recording from a funeral or baptising service involving close relatives.