For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Xandre Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:27 am
Hey, I have a gear question. Say you have an analog synth keyboard, or any synth keyboard, with no velocity sensitivity and no aftertouch, like the Sequential Circuits Split Eight. (There's a nugget of info for you, yes, it's true, the Split Eight doesn't transmit MIDI velocity or aftertouch). Does this mean that when you MIDI it up to your modern DAW, like Cubase or FL Studio, that this keyboard can't transmit velocity sensitivity on MIDI notes in any way, from playing the keyboard keys?

Is the only way to change the velocity manually on each note in the DAW, or what?

If that is the case, is there a way around this limitation when using a modern DAW, involving still using the synth keyboard keys? Or would a synth like this simply lack use as a MIDI keyboard controller for it's lack of velocity and aftertouch?

Just want to get some insight into this if I can, thanks.
By terry towelling Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:11 am
yep, if your Sequential Circuits Split Eight doesn't tramsmit velocity sensitivity, then it won't transmit velocity sensitivity to a DAW. but I wouldn't toss the Sequential Circuits Split Eight just because it lacks velocity sensitivity.
some styles of music and synths sound better without velocity sensitivity. early house and west cost hiphop, where made with synths without velocity sensitive keyboards, such as the Juno 106. and so you probably don't want velocity sensitivity there.
whereas digital fm synthesis really shines with velocity sensitivity, so you want it for those synths.
By chrisroland Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:13 am
relatedly, since my main keyboard (Alpha Juno 1) doesn't have velocity sensitivity, what's the best way to make the plugins velocity "insensitive"? i find that they just don't respond loudly enough when expecting a velocity sensitive input
By terry towelling Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:32 am
ah...I see, this is a humble brag post 8) -- you have both a Juno one and a Sequential Circuits Split Eight.
guess you'll just have to get a key step

I've been trying to work out if my motu midi timepiece patchbay can filter or alter velocity sensitivity. I'm sending midi out from my OP1 sequencers into a DX and a jx8p...but the patches on them don't sound so good at full velocity.