For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Malix_uno Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:37 pm
Hello!

First post here.

I am looking for how to connect my MPC live output to the input of my Numark M2 mixer. I would ideally need a dual TRS 1/4 cable to dual RCA, but I don't see this cable exists. I see dual TS 1/4 to dual RCA exists, but I just purchased one and the unbalanced nature causes humming that I can't accept.

The only other option I see is for a 1/4 TRS cable to dual RCA, but then I would only be plugging the TRS side into either the left or right output of my MPC Live. I would likely then only have a mono signal set up and dedicated to the left or right output correct?

Is there anyway for me to have a stereo output from my MPC live to an RCA input in my mixer?

UPDATE: I connected an aux out to RCA from headphone jack on MPC LIVE to mixer and it works okay, but the quality of the recording is still not very clear... any ideas?

Thanks!
By dabmeister Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:37 am
Malix_uno wrote:Hello!

First post here.

I am looking for how to connect my MPC live output to the input of my Numark M2 mixer. I would ideally need a dual TRS 1/4 cable to dual RCA, but I don't see this cable exists. I see dual TS 1/4 to dual RCA exists, but I just purchased one and the unbalanced nature causes humming that I can't accept.

The only other option I see is for a 1/4 TRS cable to dual RCA, but then I would only be plugging the TRS side into either the left or right output of my MPC Live. I would likely then only have a mono signal set up and dedicated to the left or right output correct?

Is there anyway for me to have a stereo output from my MPC live to an RCA input in my mixer?

UPDATE: I connected an aux out to RCA from headphone jack on MPC LIVE to mixer and it works okay, but the quality of the recording is still not very clear... any ideas?

Thanks!

Welcome! Have you looked into using a better mixer that will accept balanced connections?
By 83dude Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:16 am
That‘s what I‘d have asked. RCAs are unbalanced by design. Are you sure you‘re using line amps on you mixer and not phono amps?
By terry towelling Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:26 am
running a TS cable out from your mpc into the line-in RCAs on the m2 mixer if perfectly fine. just remember to flick the switch on the back to "line-in". btw: this will give you a stereo signal.

if you are getting hum it has nothing to do with using unbalanced cables. you only needed balanced cables if you are running them really long distances -- like a hundred metres. the important thing is that your mpc is sending out a line level signal and your mixer accepts line level signal, which it does. so all is good.

to find the source of the hum -- 1/ check that no power cables are running parallel with your audio cable. 2/are you using any wall wart power packs? I bet the mixer has a wall wart power pack. these can be very noisy as they are outputting unregulated power. try moving the wall wart to a different power outlet or replacing it with a regulated power supply.
3/ you might have crap power in your house. are you in the US? it is known for crap power. many houses aren't even grounded. see if you can find the place where your power is grounded -- it will a piece of metal going into the ground with a wire attached to it coming from the building. check the wire is connected. if you can't find one, call an electrician and get your place earthed.
By Malix_uno Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:23 pm
Hi Y'all thanks for the ideas,

I just confirmed that the MPC Live dual TS 1/4 out to dual RCA input to the M2 Numark mixer has no issue if I'm just playing music from the MPC hard drive, but when wanting to use the sample function and playing the turn table there is a very loud hum. I see the issue is listening to the a record playing live.

I also have a dual RCA to dual RCA connected on the phono RCA port of the MPC Live with the switch to phono going into the "record" output of the Numark M2.

Maybe I have things incorrectly connected? Any tips would be great, thanks for your time!

To clarify here is my setup:

1) record player connected via RCA to M2 Numark Mixer Line 2 with ground wire, Line 2 switch to phono

2) Numark M2 mixer output connected to studio speakers

3) Numark M2 mixer "record" output connected via RCA to MPC live RCA phono input with switch to phono

4) MPC Live TS/TSR output to RCA input to Line 1 of Numark M2 mixer

I'm guessing maybe I shouldn't be connecting the mixer directly to the phono input of the MPC and maybe have a RCA from Mixer "record" output to a dual TS input on the MPC which is next to the RCA input?

* My goal is to have my record player be able to play on Line 2 of the mixer at any time, but also have the mixer connect the record player to the MPC input so that I can be sampling at the same time. If not then I would always have to reconnect the record player directly to the MPC since at this time there is pure frequency feedback.
By terry towelling Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:43 am
first question -- do you have "in put thru" on the mpc turned to off? if not, then you're getting feedback whenever the mixer is sending any signal from channel one.
make sure that the fader is all the way over to channel two when sampling from the turntable into the mpc.

second question -- what happens when you listen to the record player with the fader all the way over to channel 2? if there is any noise/hum, then the problem is with the turntable, chances are you have a grounding issue.

I have the same set top as you -- a two channel mixer with turntable and sampler connected. it's certainly possible to get it working properly.
By Malix_uno Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:31 pm
Thanks to all for helping troubleshoot! I was able to resolve the issue by having two dual TS to RCA chords, one from the MPC output to the mixer input and one from the mixer record output to the TS input on the MPC.