For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By semar Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:58 pm
Hi there.
How do I connect the MPC Key 61 to an iPad ?
I would like to play the sounds of iM1 or GarageBand on the iPad, using the MPC Key keyboard.
As well I would like to hear the Audio of the iPad inside the MPC Key 61.
And also I wonder if it were possible to get audio from the MPC Key 61 to be recorded in GarageBand (on the iPad).

I've connected the iPad lightning adapter by using a "printer" usb cable between such adapter and the usb-plug on the MPC Key 61.

Sadly, nothing of the above that I want to achieve worked.

A couple of questions:

1. Are specific settings on the MPC Key 61 to be done in order to get it to work ?

2. Is the "printer" Usb-port on the MPC-Key 61 class compliant ?

3. Is the MPC Key 61 capable of Midi and Audio over Usb ( using that "printer" Usb port ) ?

4. What's the difference between "Midi Port" and "Remote" by the midi configuration on the MPC Key 61 ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sergio
By mpc_fan_2022 Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:59 am
You can do 2 things with that setup via USB:

- play IPad sounds remotely with the MPC keys and or sequencer

- control MPC key sounds from the IPad if you have a software that allows it.

to hear the IPad sounds in the MPC you need to plug the audio output of the IPad into the sampling inputs of the MPC Keys and monitor them.

to sample into the IPad you need to plug the MPC audio outputs into the IPad audio inputs, whatever they are.
By semar Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:44 am
You can do 2 things with that setup via USB:

- play IPad sounds remotely with the MPC keys and or sequencer

- control MPC key sounds from the IPad if you have a software that allows it.

Thank you for your answer.
That's great. It is at least one thing I would like to achieve ( play iPad sounds remotely) . But the question is: how to achieve that ? Did you tryed it ? Did it work ?

As I already posted, I connected the MPC Key 61 via Usb ("printer" plug) to iPad using its camera connection kit. But sadly, it does not work.

I've read on the MPC-Bible that this task (playing notes on the iPad using the Usb port on the MPC Key 61) can't be achieved. I wonder if it still so.

I have a Casio XW-P1 which has also an Usb-Midi port. When I connect it to the iPad using the same configuration described above, it works flawlessy.

Why on earth does the MPC Key 61 not ?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:13 am
semar wrote:I've read on the MPC-Bible that this task (playing notes on the iPad using the Usb port on the MPC Key 61) can't be achieved. I wonder if it still so.

I am not aware of anything that has changed in this respect, so if you wish to trigger an ipad as a MIDI instrument from an MPC MIDI track you have to use bluetooth MIDI or physical MIDI cable via a MIDI interface. As I note in the MPC Bible, you can put the MPC into controller mode and send MIDI via USB to an iPad (as seen in some youtube videos), but this is mostly fairly useless as you won't be able to run actual MPC projects at the same time (the MPC screen is stuck 'looking for computer' ).
By semar Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:21 pm
Thank you.

I've tried the BlueTooth connection. The MPC Key 61 connects to the iPad and I can send notes and program change. However, by playing notes I experience an audible latency. That is, I press a note on the MPC Key 61, and the iPad plays it indeed, but not in real time. With another keyboard (Casio XW-P1) and using an usb-midi printer cable (connected to the camera connection kit which is connected to the iPad) the notes are played without latency.

The iPad is new (2022, 10th generation).
Is there any further setting I should make, in order to avoid this annoying latency ?
By Lampdog Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:10 pm
You will ALWAYS have the bluetooth latency, no way around it.
You won't have latency when hardwired.

I see the same BT latency on MPC X/MPC Keys61 with iPad BT. It's why I don't use BT.
By Lampdog Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:32 pm
If in one of my half-azz experiments I come across a good BT solution I'll post it up. I don't think one exists though.