For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Ajax Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:48 am
Hey fellas, been awhile.

So, I’ll lead off by fully admitting that I have a problem with gear lust and end up rarely using a lot of gear I buy, in large part because I am awful at hooking everything up properly and I just get frustrated and just play around solely with my MPC X. (I’m also just a hobbyist.) I also just get the urge to play around sporadically.

So, here’s my question. A couple years ago, Sweetwater had a ridiculous sale on the Tascam DP-32SD. I’ve always hated using DAWs, and it was just such a lovely piece of equipment, my gear lust took over and I bought it. My apartment at the time had very little space, however, so I never went through and hooked it up. I’ve never used it.

I have an MPC X (which is what I presently use for everything), the Tascam, an old MPC 2500 from 20 years ago that is just collecting dust in a corner, an SP24000, an ASR-10 I got for $100 bucks several years ago that is likewise collecting dust, a Micro Korg XL, and a cheap record player I use solely for sampling. I may ultimately buy a basic digital DJ controller (again, gear lust), but it’s not a priority and I wouldn’t expect to use it for any production uses other than scratching, I guess. I also have a Scarlett interface which I use just to record beat templates from my X into mp3 form on my laptop so I can upload them on SoundCloud/etc, but I don’t really track out stems, etc. My speakers are two KRKs, but I primarily have just used headphones to date.

I’ve now moved into a place that has a second bedroom, which I plan to use for fun (production and PlayStation), and I want to try to hook everything up in a cohesive way where I ultimately record finished songs in the Tascam. The X would remain the sampling and sequencing centerpiece, but I’d like to also incorporate the other pieces, if it makes sense and is feasible.

Does anyone have experience using a Tascam DP unit in conjunction with an MPC X and other pieces of equipment? If so, how would you suggest going about setting it all up? I assume that the Tascam obviates the need for a traditional mixer? So, is the only piece directly connected to the Tascam the X (using the various outs into the various ins on the Tascam)? Perhaps the DJ controller (or scratch turntable) also goes directly into the Tascam, and scratches have their own track on the Tascam? The microKorg goes into the X, so I can sequence it before it tracks out to the Tascam? I’d love to use the filters/FX on the ASR, so maybe I feed the record player into the ASR and the ASR into the sample ins of the X? Then, the outs on the Tascam just feed into the speakers.. I have no clue how to incorporate the SP2400, but if there’s a way to, that’d be awesome.

Alternatively, is the Tascam totally superfluous, since you can technically sequence and mix everything directly in the X? Or, do you think it could work well in this hypothetical setup? Again, I do not want to track into a DAW. I just can’t stand that workflow.

Sorry for the beginner question. It’s maddening being so bad at organization when I have all of this stuff that could be put to such great use… as of right now, I literally just use the X with a pair of headphones and a sample source…

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
By terry towelling Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:52 am
audio connection:
mpc x master outs to tascam ins A and B
asr 10 outs to tascam ins C and D
sp (or microkork) master outs to tascam in E and F
turntable amps outs to tascam in G and H

tascam stereo out to speakers/monitors
tascam monitor outs to asr10 inputs

midi connection.
mpc x midi 1 out to asr10 midi in
asr10 midi out to mpc x midi 1 in
mpc x midi 2 out to sp midi in

Sample from the turntable (or anything else connected ot the tascam) into the asr10 (or the SP).

Scenario One:
The MPC is a good sequencer, and the ASR10 has the best sound and effects, so:
Use the MPC x as your sequencer to sequence the ASR10 (or SP). Hit record on the tascam and use the pad mutes on the mpc x to turn tracks on and off on the ASR10. then edit your two track performance into a track.boom.

Scenario two:
MPC X as sequencer. Samples on MPC X, ASR10 and SP. Hit record on tascam, hit play on MPC X. Record all three instruments to make a three x stereo track recording. Edit recording. Mix this down to a stereo track in the tascam.