For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By IlikePizza1987 Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:53 am
Hello there,

I‘m making music for a while now and thinking about buying an MPC Live II.
I really like this machine, nur I‘m not sure of its the right thing for me.
Atm I‘m doing my Beats with Logic and different VSTs. I have some really high quality libraries. When I sample something I use Serato Sample.
Also I don‘t own Synthesizer or other outboard gear.
So I need an advice, should I get a MPC or is ist just G.A.S. ?
Thanks
By Koekepan Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:27 pm
I think that you should first ask yourself what the MPC would do for you.

Let me explain: It's a chunk of change (OK, if you have Apple money to spend, maybe not so much money in your world, but if not please don't donate plasma to make rent because of an MPC) and a big move in terms of how you do things, both workflow and limitations.

In my case, I went hardware (many years ago now) for the sake of live performance, because I'm one of those lunatics that thinks that a laptop doesn't belong on stage. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have made slightly different purchase decisions, but no real regrets.

Let's be clear, in that the MPC can not and will not do everything that Logic will do for you. However, it can sample anything that you can dump out of Logic, so you can take your Logic output on the road. The MPC software will help with this and of course you'll have access to plugins through it, when the MPC is in controller mode. In standalone mode, you get the internal plugins and whatever samples you recorded onto it.

So then it comes down to what the MPC will do for you that your computer doesn't - and that is summed up in workflow. Physical interface workflow, for banging out rhythms and hitting dedicated buttons, and also logical workflow for how you manage the processes ranging from sound design to rendering.

Maybe grab the MPC software and see how you like that?
By IlikePizza1987 Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:27 pm
Thanks, for the reply.
Of course this is a bunch of money.

Lately I've had the feeling that I have to force myself to sit down at the computer and start making music after a hard day.
It‘s not that fun anymore.

My thoughts were, that I use Logic and my VSTs to produce my own Samples. This is something I can do, even when there is not much time to spend.

These samples could be used with the MPC.
My goal would be to regain the joy of producing.

I‘m not sure if a MPC is what I‘m looking for, or maybe other devices or whatever.

I had a Maschine MK3 for a while and I liked the workflow and my overall outcome. Unfortunately I had some problems with NI, thats why I don’t own it anymore.
By Koekepan Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:12 pm
OK, this makes sense.

Joy of producing - that usually stems from an easy, relatively friction-free workflow; a straight path from what's in your head to what flows from the system.

It's hard to say that any one system would work for you, without first having the chance to try it. Maybe nirvana for you would sit with something from Elektron. Maybe the Novation Circuit family is where you sit, or the SP404 family. Perhaps you'd be better off with a keyboard workstation - and that might mean something like the MPC Keys, or it might have you getting something from KORG, or even Casio.

If you're near a music hardware retailer, I would try there. For the MPC workflow specifically, maybe try their software first?

I know, I'm raising more questions than answers, but this is a big question.
By Menco Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:26 am
Just go for it if you can get a decent deal on a LiveII. If you don't like you can easily sell it for roughly the same price. Maybe loose $50, but gain some experience and knowledge.