For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Meru Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:50 pm
Hello!

As the title says I'm considering replacing my current sampler & multitrack mixer/recorder with an MPC Live.

I perused a few threads here related to my question but I want to be sure my understanding is correct.

I know the MPC can more than fill the role of the Tracker. But can it mix & record four other hardware synths?

I think I'd need a class compliant audio interface to accomplish this. Any recommendations on which pairs best with MPC?
By NearTao Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:44 am
If you're trying to stay "in the box" and not use an external mixer/audio interface... you're only going to have a pair of audio inputs. That'd limit you to two mono, or one stereo input. The 1010 bluebook may still have some things to offer an MPC workflow worth considering.

That all said, yes it can technically mix and record four other hardware synths, just depends on how much onboard vs off board you're willing to work with, and if you want to use an external audio interface. I'm using the behringer rx1820, it's affordable and works great. Some people complain about the noise floor on it, but I'll be honest, I haven't had any problems personally, and it has sounded great even with my older gear.

Honestly though, I'd be more interested in understanding why you're moving away from the Polyend Tracker and 1010 Bluebox... the workflows are going to be *vastly* different. If you're not stoked about the tracker workflow, while different, the MPC Song/Sequence workflow I'd say is equally... antiquated. I feel like for both trackers and MPC workflows they are from a different time. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, but you have to be willing for either to meet the workflow a bit more than halfway.
By Koekepan Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:37 pm
I agree with NearTao here.

Why are you moving from the Tracker/Bluebox? What are you hoping to get from the MPC that you aren't now?

The MPC isn't really an MTR, so if that's what you're looking for I think that you're off-base. If you just want to record a whole session, maybe you could try one of the Tascam Model series.
By Meru Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:29 am
NearTao wrote:If you're trying to stay "in the box" and not use an external mixer/audio interface... you're only going to have a pair of audio inputs. That'd limit you to two mono, or one stereo input. The 1010 bluebook may still have some things to offer an MPC workflow worth considering.

That all said, yes it can technically mix and record four other hardware synths, just depends on how much onboard vs off board you're willing to work with, and if you want to use an external audio interface. I'm using the behringer rx1820, it's affordable and works great. Some people complain about the noise floor on it, but I'll be honest, I haven't had any problems personally, and it has sounded great even with my older gear.

Honestly though, I'd be more interested in understanding why you're moving away from the Polyend Tracker and 1010 Bluebox... the workflows are going to be *vastly* different. If you're not stoked about the tracker workflow, while different, the MPC Song/Sequence workflow I'd say is equally... antiquated. I feel like for both trackers and MPC workflows they are from a different time. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, but you have to be willing for either to meet the workflow a bit more than halfway.

I've been looking to purchase a midi hardware controller recently & through my research I realized that for just a bit more money I could pick up a used MPC Live which could meet my need for a controller and alot more. Then I started thinking that if I did purchase one it would make some of my current gear obsolete.

I do like Tracker it for it's atypical workflow and quirkiness and I like capturing samples from my other synths and running them through the Trackers Wavetable and Granular engines. But I don't use it for much else at this point.

I purchased it the week it realeased & I used to write full tracks on it but as I purchased more gear I used it less & less.

As it stands now, I have it as my clock but it contibutes minimally to most of the tracks I'm working on.

My only complaint with Bluebox is that it's a little noisy. But again, I don't dislike it. I love that I can run the AUX output to my Tracker and capture a sample from any of my synths without rearranging cables. I love it's size and it's easy to use & I'm eager to see what 1010 brings with future firmware.

What I don't like is that I have to transfer my recordings from the mini SD to a computer to assemble/clean up the tracks. It's clunky and I'd really like to only use my laptop for updating gear and backing up samples and tracks. One intention I had while building my little home studio is to avoid using a DAW entirely.

I know one aspect of MPCs is that they are a DAW in hardware form, or atleast that's the way I perceive them, but having some of the functionality of a DAW in a hardware instrument feels to me like it would be a more linear work flow.

I appreciate you asking me that question though & forcing me to reassess this a bit.

*edit Did you mean the Behringer UMC 1820? I'm not finding the RX.
Last edited by Meru on Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Meru Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:35 am
Koekepan wrote:I agree with NearTao here.

Why are you moving from the Tracker/Bluebox? What are you hoping to get from the MPC that you aren't now?

The MPC isn't really an MTR, so if that's what you're looking for I think that you're off-base. If you just want to record a whole session, maybe you could try one of the Tascam Model series.

I wasn't sure how to reply to both of you but my reply to Tao answers your question as well and was intended for you both.

But, I'll also add that I feel like I need a centerpiece that ties all of my gear together. Something that will allow me to bring in different parts of a song without having to jump from one instrument to another.

Tracker can do that to a limited degree.

The idea of having an instrument that can do that as well as assemble, add effects, has larger pads, trigger loops, record, ect. is appealing.
Last edited by Meru on Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By terry towelling Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:52 am
If what you are looking to do is sequence or play midi on the mpc, send the midi to synths and then record audio into the mpc (using the mpcs audio tracks), then yeah, it'll work well.
That how I do things, but with a Roland mv8000. It's a great way to work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YrKWeVpTTfA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
By Meru Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:56 am
terry towelling wrote:If what you are looking to do is sequence or play midi on the mpc, send the midi to synths and then record audio into the mpc (using the mpcs audio tracks), then yeah, it'll work well.
That how I do things, but with a Roland mv8000. It's a great way to work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YrKWeVpTTfA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking. I'll take a look at the Roland mv8000
Thanks!
By terry towelling Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:39 am
If you can find an mv8000 at a price you're happy with, then it's a great machine, with good sound quality and effects. It has eight stereo audio tracks for recording snths/external gear into. But you can easily resample your audio tracks and free up the audio tracks. I'd recommend it over one of the modern MPCs. But is it a large, heavy machine.

Maybe also have a look at the OP1 from teenage engineering, I also use it in the manner described above (sequencer midi out to synths, recording synth into machine). It has a number of really useful sequencers and a digital six minute four track tape for recording onto. it's really good for constructing full tracks with recorded audio.

btw: just curious, what synths do you have?
By NearTao Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:48 am
Meru wrote:I've been looking to purchase a midi hardware controller recently & through my research I realized that for just a bit more money I could pick up a used MPC Live which could meet my need for a controller and alot more. Then I started thinking that if I did purchase one it would make some of my current gear obsolete.

It is fair that the MPC Live (or One, or X) can replace a lot of gear. Especially with Akai's push into adding in paid for synths and effects. I don't think enough people give credit to how much this has changed the ecosystem from previous MPC iterations. Akai is now more actively invested in bug fixes, for a longer period of time, and delivering frequent (albeit usually minor) updates. Without a doubt, you *can* make full tracks, solely on the MPC, and its ability to export audio out as stems allows you to, when you choose, work in a DAW.

Meru wrote:I do like Tracker it for it's atypical workflow and quirkiness and I like capturing samples from my other synths and running them through the Trackers Wavetable and Granular engines. But I don't use it for much else at this point.

If you don't mind the workflow and quirkiness of the Polyend, you'll likely not mind the same on the MPC. I only brought it up because I've seen people rage at one device for being quirky, only to jump to another device and also hate it for being quirky. At some point the problem becomes a "just learn the damn thing" instead of just hopping from device to device.

Honestly, this makes me feel like you'd likely spend the time on the MPC to get something out of it. I'm aware of, but personally not familiar with the Polyend wavetable or granular engines... if you enjoyed those, you'll probably find the MPC's offering in those spaces... lacking :). Plenty of other things to use and learn, and who knows what the future holds, but for now, there's a synth that has wavetables (Hype), and a granular FX (Granulator)... both are nice, but not going to do what the Polyend is doing.

Meru wrote:My only complaint with Bluebox is that it's a little noisy. But again, I don't dislike it. I love that I can run the AUX output to my Tracker and capture a sample from any of my synths without rearranging cables. I love its size and it's easy to use & I'm eager to see what 1010 brings with future firmware.

I have no experience with the Bluebox either... so can only say that it *might* pair well with the MPC Live... so more of a "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" than anything I do or do not know about it.

Meru wrote:What I don't like is that I have to transfer my recordings from the mini SD to a computer to assemble/clean up the tracks. It's clunky and I'd really like to only use my laptop for updating gear and backing up samples and tracks. One intention I had while building my little home studio is to avoid using a DAW entirely.

Well Yorgos on the forums put together a pretty nice mastering fx chain https://www.yorgosarabatzis.space/store. It's not magic obviously, but it will help you find issues in your mix, and it can get you 60-80% of the way through the mastering process without much a) knowledge and b) time investment. Frequently it's good enough with the basic settings. I will endorse this, as I do tend to use it frequently when I'm working on the MPC and staying in the box.

Meru wrote:I know one aspect of MPCs is that they are a DAW in hardware form, or atleast that's the way I perceive them, but having some of the functionality of a DAW in a hardware instrument feels to me like it would be a more linear work flow.

So I personally wouldn't call the MPC a DAW in hardware form. For me it is an easy device to have as the center of a studio, and it is also an easy device to be the only thing in your studio. If you're a bedroom producer, doing it for fun, or otherwise it's not your full-time job, then it can function as a DAW "in the box" just fine, but I think for anybody who's serious about making music, it's probably not going to cut it as your end of chain/DAW since you're likely reaching to the computer for a number of other synths/libraries/fx and such. Running the MPC in controller mode with the software can help bridge the gap(s) a bit here, but it's not going to convince anybody to move off of their preferred DAW.

All that said, as long as you're willing to live within the parameters of the MPC, you're likely going to find a *lot* to love.

Meru wrote:*edit Did you mean the Behringer UMC 1820? I'm not finding the RX.

You are correct.

Err... Rx1820 is what I have as a label on my patch bay lol... Rx for Receive and Tx for Transmit... brain disengaged when I looked for the model number really quick and just copy/pasted what the patch bay sticker says.

EDIT: Just one last thought... you *might* consider checking out the Akai Force... it's not portable in the same way the Live/Live mk2 is though...
By Meru Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:15 pm
terry towelling wrote:If you can find an mv8000 at a price you're happy with, then it's a great machine, with good sound quality and effects. It has eight stereo audio tracks for recording snths/external gear into. But you can easily resample your audio tracks and free up the audio tracks. I'd recommend it over one of the modern MPCs. But is it a large, heavy machine.

Maybe also have a look at the OP1 from teenage engineering, I also use it in the manner described above (sequencer midi out to synths, recording synth into machine). It has a number of really useful sequencers and a digital six minute four track tape for recording onto. it's really good for constructing full tracks with recorded audio.

btw: just curious, what synths do you have?

I currently have a Syntakt, Tracker, Minilouge XD, MiniFreak, Twisted Electrons Blast Beats, NTS-1. I
By Meru Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:22 pm
NearTao wrote:
Meru wrote:I've been looking to purchase a midi hardware controller recently & through my research I realized that for just a bit more money I could pick up a used MPC Live which could meet my need for a controller and alot more. Then I started thinking that if I did purchase one it would make some of my current gear obsolete.

It is fair that the MPC Live (or One, or X) can replace a lot of gear. Especially with Akai's push into adding in paid for synths and effects. I don't think enough people give credit to how much this has changed the ecosystem from previous MPC iterations. Akai is now more actively invested in bug fixes, for a longer period of time, and delivering frequent (albeit usually minor) updates. Without a doubt, you *can* make full tracks, solely on the MPC, and its ability to export audio out as stems allows you to, when you choose, work in a DAW.

Meru wrote:I do like Tracker it for it's atypical workflow and quirkiness and I like capturing samples from my other synths and running them through the Trackers Wavetable and Granular engines. But I don't use it for much else at this point.

If you don't mind the workflow and quirkiness of the Polyend, you'll likely not mind the same on the MPC. I only brought it up because I've seen people rage at one device for being quirky, only to jump to another device and also hate it for being quirky. At some point the problem becomes a "just learn the damn thing" instead of just hopping from device to device.

Honestly, this makes me feel like you'd likely spend the time on the MPC to get something out of it. I'm aware of, but personally not familiar with the Polyend wavetable or granular engines... if you enjoyed those, you'll probably find the MPC's offering in those spaces... lacking :). Plenty of other things to use and learn, and who knows what the future holds, but for now, there's a synth that has wavetables (Hype), and a granular FX (Granulator)... both are nice, but not going to do what the Polyend is doing.

Meru wrote:My only complaint with Bluebox is that it's a little noisy. But again, I don't dislike it. I love that I can run the AUX output to my Tracker and capture a sample from any of my synths without rearranging cables. I love its size and it's easy to use & I'm eager to see what 1010 brings with future firmware.

I have no experience with the Bluebox either... so can only say that it *might* pair well with the MPC Live... so more of a "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" than anything I do or do not know about it.

Meru wrote:What I don't like is that I have to transfer my recordings from the mini SD to a computer to assemble/clean up the tracks. It's clunky and I'd really like to only use my laptop for updating gear and backing up samples and tracks. One intention I had while building my little home studio is to avoid using a DAW entirely.

Well Yorgos on the forums put together a pretty nice mastering fx chain https://www.yorgosarabatzis.space/store. It's not magic obviously, but it will help you find issues in your mix, and it can get you 60-80% of the way through the mastering process without much a) knowledge and b) time investment. Frequently it's good enough with the basic settings. I will endorse this, as I do tend to use it frequently when I'm working on the MPC and staying in the box.

Meru wrote:I know one aspect of MPCs is that they are a DAW in hardware form, or atleast that's the way I perceive them, but having some of the functionality of a DAW in a hardware instrument feels to me like it would be a more linear work flow.

So I personally wouldn't call the MPC a DAW in hardware form. For me it is an easy device to have as the center of a studio, and it is also an easy device to be the only thing in your studio. If you're a bedroom producer, doing it for fun, or otherwise it's not your full-time job, then it can function as a DAW "in the box" just fine, but I think for anybody who's serious about making music, it's probably not going to cut it as your end of chain/DAW since you're likely reaching to the computer for a number of other synths/libraries/fx and such. Running the MPC in controller mode with the software can help bridge the gap(s) a bit here, but it's not going to convince anybody to move off of their preferred DAW.

All that said, as long as you're willing to live within the parameters of the MPC, you're likely going to find a *lot* to love.

Meru wrote:*edit Did you mean the Behringer UMC 1820? I'm not finding the RX.

You are correct.

Err... Rx1820 is what I have as a label on my patch bay lol... Rx for Receive and Tx for Transmit... brain disengaged when I looked for the model number really quick and just copy/pasted what the patch bay sticker says.

EDIT: Just one last thought... you *might* consider checking out the Akai Force... it's not portable in the same way the Live/Live mk2 is though...

Thank you taking the time to provide some insight. This is exactly what I was looking for. If I see a good deal I'll likely grab it but hang on to the gear until I'm certain I don't need them.
By Koekepan Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:30 pm
I would, in your position, first get an Akai device (Live, or perhaps Force) and keep the Bluebox as a mixer/recorder. That's an intermediate step, replacing the Tracker with the Akai.

None of the Akais is as good as the Bluebox for recording audio, so if that's a major aspect of how you like to do things, then it's not a true replacement. Alternatively, if you're happy to record in tracks as audio and just blend them in, the Force will do that just fine.

My preferred blend is the Force and a Tascam DP-32SD, with a Behringer UMC1820 doing the translation.
By terry towelling Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:54 pm
Koekepan wrote:I would, in your position, first get an Akai device (Live, or perhaps Force) and keep the Bluebox as a mixer/recorder. That's an intermediate step, replacing the Tracker with the Akai.

None of the Akais is as good as the Bluebox for recording audio, so if that's a major aspect of how you like to do things, then it's not a true replacement. Alternatively, if you're happy to record in tracks as audio and just blend them in, the Force will do that just fine.

My preferred blend is the Force and a Tascam DP-32SD, with a Behringer UMC1820 doing the translation.

The bluebox and Tascam DP can't by clocked or midi synched to the MPC, right? So how do you do multiple passes when recording and still keep things all lined up?