For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Orbiting Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:18 am
To start I hope this is the right sub-forum for this question. Forgive me and point me to the right place if not.

Up until recently I have never used a DAW but I am currently learning Logic at school. I have made all of my beats and music in MPC Standalone. Now since I have an audio interface I have found that I prefer using the MPC audio out -> Interface -> Logic.

I've done a lot of research online and found people using external MIDI devices in-between their computer and MPC but I feel like this can be done via USB. Most youtube videos seem to be people using MPC as a MIDI controller in controller mode. When you do this you seem to lose access to the internal sound and instrument libraries in MPC. When I go into the Logic MIDI preferences, my MPC doesn't appear as a device unless I put it in controller mode...thus killing my stand-alone workflow mojo.

My question is, how can I sync the MIDI clocks so that the MPC is the slave device, receiving MIDI Tempo information...while maintaining the use of MPC in standalone mode. I like the MPC drum and synth sounds and I don't want to use it to control Logic. I just want MPC to play on time with the tempo set in Logic. :smoker: :smoker:

Thanks in advance.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Use 5 pin din midi cables. I hate mpc software, if I had to do what your doing for midi I’d use:

5pin din to audio interface to computer
or
5pin din to usb adapter to pc.

When in controller mode, default internal is not accessible, other attached usb/sd drives are.
By dabmeister Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:21 pm
Orbiting wrote:Appreciate the response,
I do have 5pin to 1/8th AUX jack with a 1/8th to 1/4 TRS adapter. Will this work?

As for routing it properly should I go ask in the Logic forum?

Midi clock sends clock, sync, and messages via the 5 pin midi din connector between various pieces of gear. An adapter won't work to convert this signal to audio then back to the required pulses.

This is why you have midi "in, out, and thru" to connect between your gear, so you can set one as the master, and the rest as slave.