For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By dabmeister Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:09 pm
Probably a long shot on getting an answer, but I'll see if any vets or gearheads can chime in.

I just purchased an Apollo X8 recently (which hasn't arrived yet) and wanted to see if anyone on the forum is using the configuration I just titled.

Yes, I've read about the support in the past as being not so great due to driver issues. But as of recently, I haven't heard of anyone having problems using a Windows based system with the Apollo series.

Thoughts?
By dabmeister Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:39 am

By dabmeister Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:45 pm
Lampdog wrote:Str8 beastin.

What up Lamp! Man, after dishing out these C notes for this joint, I think I'm at my end of the road for any & all interface upgrades. The only other thing I'm leery of is...I just hope everything works without any issues. I'm installing an Asus Thunderbolt 4 controller card to make this usable.
By dabmeister Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:Wuddup man how are you?
That and the card should work out VERY nice!

I'm doing well sir, how 'bout you? And Merry Christmas to you too. I built my current computer a year ago & it does have the on-board thunderbolt header. The only issue I might encounter would be space in the computer case. I went from a 4U case to a 3U which was of course shorter in height & length and things got pretty tight, but I think I can pull it off.
By dabmeister Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 am
Lampdog wrote:Building computers is relaxing!

Bruh, this is the only way I'd have it. Done right, you get to enjoy what it was intended for. I had to do it due to hardware limitations that didn't meet the minimum requirements for the software I wanted to run.

So after studying the varying options I could use, I went with a pretty fast 2TB NVMe for my OS & programs, 4TB 3.5" HDD conventional for files. So far it's been a beast.
By dabmeister Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 pm

It's official y'all!

Just waiting on my controller card and I'll be in business. Now as far as my Focusrite is concerned...I'll gift the Clarett 8pre to my nephew, or it'll be up for sale.
By dabmeister Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:04 am
Lampdog wrote:That thang sexy!
Peel that plastic bits off nice and slow. hhnngngngg.

:nod: :lol:

At least I can come to grip with the color scheme matching with the rest the gear in my rack. Nothing against Focusrite. But that red didn't quite blend in with the rest of what's going on.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:42 pm
I like black gear with wood or silver sides. Kronos2 and Subsequent-37 match PERFECTLY by default. Then X comes in like “what’s up bytches” and matches nothing cause of the red sides, lol. At least Key61 is black with red at the bottom or back and isn’t intrusive.
By dabmeister Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:43 pm
Lampdog wrote:I like black gear with wood or silver sides. Kronos2 and Subsequent-37 match PERFECTLY by default. Then X comes in like “what’s up bytches” and matches nothing cause of the red sides, lol. At least Key61 is black with red at the bottom or back and isn’t intrusive.

:lol: :-D Too funny, I can't help but to agree with you on that Lamp.
By dabmeister Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:33 pm

Ok, I got a surprise today (Asus Thunderbolt EX Card). Didn't know this was being delivered today. Which means, if everything works out I can officially register this thing and get the LX modeling mic they're throwing in as a promotion.
By dabmeister Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:23 am
Ok. Well, there's no follow-up at this time because I found out I need to buy a new rack case. I did install the thunderbolt card, but just to get the interface registered before the promo ended. This "form factor" stuff might work ok with conventional upright stuff. But this rack sh!t, is on a whole different dimension.

So since there's no deep 3U rack cases to be found I had to settle for another huge 4U case. Not what I wanted. But due to it being an necessity, I'll have to take what's available.