For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By MJ76 Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 am
Hi folks this is probably quite a big open ended question, but generally looking for tips please.

Currently im using what I would call my hifi separates system to listen to the output of my MPC. So output of the MPC > USB Audio interface > Amplifier> Passive speakers. The amplifier is from the 90s and is what I normally also use to listen to music. The audio interface is in use because I also use my PC with a DAW to create music (am beginner level I would add).

Ive heard it said (and read) that with regards to making beats on the MPC, you do not always need to mix and master. Im not sure if this is correct or not (possibly depends on genre) and I am not anywhere close to that stage but in an effort to make my humble studio setup as future proof as possible, my Amp is starting to develop issues and ill need to figure out a solution ie replace with another amp, or should I be using 'studio monitors' straight from the Audio Interface to get an 'accurate sound' ? I guess im curious what other people use for their MPC setup (in order to hear the output through speakers), and because I also like to listen to music - do I need to think about having a separate system for listening and one for creating?

On a separate note as am just curious, if you wanted to create a track with the MPC output combined with an instrument being played externally, what would you actually use to record the track to digital format? Thank you folks for reading and any pointers are appreciated.
By Menco Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 am
Correct, you don’t have to focus that much on mixing and mastering if you’re just making beats for fun. It’s also not a must to have monitor speakers to make dope beats. But if you have to spend money anyway for replacing that amp, I’d say go get some monitors.

I use a Tascam Model12 as audio interface which allows me to record up to 12 audio signals simultaneously into DAW.
By MJ76 Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:17 am
Thanks Menco, yep ill take a look at monitors I think it would probably be a better investment in the long term, that interface looks amazing!
By Telefunky Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:34 am
1st things 1st... before you start looking up monitors, check you room ;)
A(ny) pair of world class monitors will still deliver a sound that fools you if the room is not controlled in it‘s reflections and resonances.