For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By 247beatz Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:08 am
i need a lil help. What i want to know is, about the typical rap/hiphop studio. I have the mpc2000 and a yamaha mt8x mixer. I just want to know what are the basic machines/items needed for a studio besides the(mic, mixer, wires: all the must need things)

Thanks[/color]

By Justice Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:12 am
a multitrack which can either be a PC, Mac or a Hardware Multitrack machine.
U'll need a compressor and an effects rack would be usefull as u can use it on everything(voice, beats, guitar etc..)
A sound module or keyboard(depending on what u do)[/color]

By oraziodelcore Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:54 pm
Technics Sl-1200/10 mk2 turntables ... most relieable turntables in universe .Vestax pmc scratch mixers .. are a good combination with the technics tables ..

ol`school samplers like the akai s-950 are dope ..
analague filters like the sherman filterbank & akai`s rack filter
are hip hop

a huge record collection with breaks from soul & funk lp`s etc

/ pace orazio

By KoolSha78 Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:20 am
Pro Tools.[/color]

By Droopy Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:21 pm
Well this is all gravy if your gonna be recording but you didn't specify if you needed recording or composition equipment. And that all depends if your a true musician or not(not trying to be disrespectful and all)& the route you wanna take with your studio. You got the 2000, so are you gonna be sampling vinyl with it? If you a DJ, get direct drive turntables(so you can scratch & sample effectively)with a reliable mixer. If you're a musician the get a board(keyboard)& maybe one sound module or a couple expansion boards. If you composing on your PC/Mac then get a lot of(or maybe one good one)software synth & drum modelers along with some effect plug-ins. With that you're gonna need a MIDI controller & maybe a MIDI interface(if your sound card doesn't have MIDI I/O). Outboard gear isn't mandatory but if you a gear hog or you just big ballin like that then go head. Pro Tools is the industry standard in recording software(in the UK,MOTU is king)so if you wanna record on the computer there's a s**t load of s**t you need before you can do that! DigiDesign Digi 001 rack hardware & software recording system could suit you well. It comes with a audio interface with studio connection ports(with MIDI) & a PCI card to install into your computer shelf along with Pro Tools software. You'll need A SCSI PCI card(if your computer doesn't have one)& a SCSI hard drive storage system(to store your audio tracks & info)so you don't have to store them on the computer(which is a big no no because your PC will run very slow).

So as you can see building a studio could take a huge commitment(& a big bank)to launch so map out a plan for the direction you're gonna take then plan a budget(that you'll probably won't stick to)then go from there! Holla![/color]

By EdwardSakamura Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:51 pm
Pete rock makes all his beats on an mpc 2000xl and a dps-16 mixer. the only outboard gear he says he uses are old skool electric piano and organ's (from an interview in the source) shoot, 99% of underground hip hop is made with either
an mpc 2000xl or a Korg Triton Studio. I've made complete albums on an asr-10 back in the 90's. what matters is your creative instincts,
I would go like this
#1-decent sound module-like a mo' phatt and planet phatt (IE sounds for the mpc)
#2- a decent mixer, peeps hate on behringer (numark of europa!) but they work well for mixing all the auidio in a project studio to input into a comp. soundcard.
#3- an effects module, preferably one that can do compression., or a cheap alternative the mpc's efx board and a compressor.
#4- A nice mic, condensor, phantom power is needed but the mixer from #2 should have at least one channel that provides phantom power.
#5- a keyboard either one with sounds or a controller for the mpc or pc stuff. a nice used keyboard, alesis qs 8.1- 88 weighted keys, nice price of 200 bux (its discontinued) or a controller for like 50 bux.
2 pennies tho.[/color]

By D Rocka Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:37 am
actually, u dont need those effects racks, u just gotta get some effects 4 whatever computer multitrack ur using. if using a hardware multitrack thats not computer based, then get an effects rack if it doesnt have any. also, ur studio should include a decent keyboard like a Triton Pro, decent monitors, a fast computer. u could also get a Z8 or Z4 sampler since u dont have a 4000. plus, most importantly, u need some emu rack w/ sound expansion, and definetly a roland XV-5080. that is the tightest.[/color]