For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By cybernaga595 Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:30 am
I search alot in the forums and I've been coming alot across the 808.  Alot of you guys like to sample 808 sounds 'cause there more meaty on average I guess; but isnt the 808 a sampler in its own right. Is it because of its filters and efx why people love it so much?  More precisely alot posts stress the importance of getting that 808 type kick or hat, so why not just purchase it?  Is it b/c the MPC is a sampler and we are better off just sampling the 808 sounds, than buying it since it is a similar machine to the MPC.  I guess what i'm trying to get at is whats so special about this machine.  I've read the specs, and the only thing that I could conclude is that its onboard effects are unparalled by any other sampler/sequencer.  Can anyone clear up this mystery as to why this "Remix-oriented phrase sampler/digital multitrack recorder"  (American Musical Supply spec) is so much talked about.  Thanx to anyone who can help a rookie with the MPC2000Xl figure out why this other sampler is just so damned admired.  Peace[/color]

By earthmorphosis Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:40 am
whats so special about this machine

Well it is a very unique sounding drum machine.  At the time it was the first mainstream drum machine to really blow up the subz with the clasic 808 boom sound.  And it was used in so many Hip Hop hits in the mid 80's.  I would say unless you are a purist with deep pockets, forget about the 808 and buy a sample CD with the 808 sounds and load them into your MPC.  But in reality, mainstream Hip Hop today aint using no 808 sounds much these days.  So your better off building up your library with all kinds of sounds-especially abstract sounds that no one else is using. Thats how you get recognized.[/color]

By KoolSha78 Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:29 am
Your confusing the Sp808 GrooveBox w/ the TR808....

The TR808 is the classic drum machine that you hear on most of the old school west coast stuff and Planet Rock type beats...you can easily play the sounds on an MPC and it will sound nice, I'm going to submit the full kit to the sound exchange. Still viable for bass and the infamous cow bell, tweak the resonance and frequency with em on the MPC to get some nice results...

The SP808 is kind of a half assed MPC in my opinion, I had one and sold it real quick. Nice sound quality but kind of hindering as far as sequencing on the crap tracker in there.

Stick w/ your MPC.[/color]

By cybernaga595 Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:30 am
Thanx yall for clearing that whole 808 thing up for me.  Good lookin'.  That sound exchange forum that da tutor is running sounds dope, is he only accepting instrument samples?  What about songs (like i got a nice chopped version of an old Tina Turner song, will he accept that or does he prefer only instrument sounds pianos/drums/hats/etc...).  Thanx again for replying.  1 love[/color]