For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
User avatar

By Lampdog Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:46 pm
You don't need alot of gear to make hits, why are people so amazed at a small setup thinking that they need more. Learn to twist up what you have and you'll be fine. I only have 2 keyboards and 2kxl and a pc and I'm fine, I need nothing else. El cheapo mic that I've been using since 95 also.
User avatar

By mpc4000xl Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:06 pm
Lampdog wrote:You don't need alot of gear to make hits, why are people so amazed at a small setup thinking that they need more. Learn to twist up what you have and you'll be fine. I only have 2 keyboards and 2kxl and a pc and I'm fine, I need nothing else. El cheapo mic that I've been using since 95 also.



Preach THAT LAMPDOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


4 REAL.................................



What Did Ever Habben 2 The BeatKINGZ DVD.....................

I E-mailed 3 of those cats N Got NO REPLY...............



:x .. :x .. :x .. :x

2 Think I Almost Pre-Ordered.............NOT!!!!!!!
User avatar

By Blue Haze Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:25 pm
Lampdog wrote:You don't need alot of gear to make hits, why are people so amazed at a small setup thinking that they need more. Learn to twist up what you have and you'll be fine. I only have 2 keyboards and 2kxl and a pc and I'm fine, I need nothing else. El cheapo mic that I've been using since 95 also.


Amen less automation and more technique. :D :D :D


Now go and tell dat.

**** my damn digi 001 finking up on me again time for an upgrade an old 8 track or digi 002 rack Hmmm f*ck it I`ll just mosey on down and trade that buster in. But can it be all so simple. Hey Lamp what you record on? I tried the roland and my little D12 I needs intergration with Live, Mach 5 and other **** in the computer.
User avatar

By Lampdog Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:12 pm
@Blue Haze

My sequences on 2kxl
or
My sequences on triton
or
My sequences on asr10.

I have only midi'd up my triton and 2kxl maybe
twice and did a complete song. I have never midi'd
my triton and ASR10, I have midi'd my ASR10 to 2kxl
once but never did a complete song with that confg. Just wanted
to actually do it and see what was what.

Usually my songs are on 1 machine only, I prefer to start and finish
on 1 peice of gear so that I can learn many of it's features
and find work-arounds on it just by itself. It's the way
I like to work.

Multitracking, I go from 2kxl/triton to PC via sound blaster audigy platinum (optical line out (2 chnl) with Triton or 2kxl main outs into Triton line in to Triton optical line out to pc to Vegas 5.0.

I like using my optical outs on my Triton cause it's clear w/ NO electromagnetic noise into the pc.
User avatar

By Blue Haze Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:30 pm
Lampdog wrote:@Blue Haze

My sequences on 2kxl
or
My sequences on triton
or
My sequences on asr10.

I have only midi'd up my triton and 2kxl maybe
twice and did a complete song. I have never midi'd
my triton and ASR10, I have midi'd my ASR10 to 2kxl
once but never did a complete song with that confg. Just wanted
to actually do it and see what was what.

Usually my songs are on 1 machine only, I prefer to start and finish
on 1 peice of gear so that I can learn many of it's features
and find work-arounds on it just by itself. It's the way
I like to work.

Multitracking, I go from 2kxl/triton to PC via sound blaster audigy platinum (optical line out (2 chnl) with Triton or 2kxl main outs into Triton line in to Triton optical line out to pc to Vegas 5.0.

I like using my optical outs on my Triton cause it's clear w/ NO electromagnetic noise into the pc.


Alright I got cha. I use a 4k and turntable with G4 and pro tools 6.4. I got rid of my Triton about a year ago now just straight samples with a software additions. I have been practicing synethesis and sound designing lately but I finally decided to go ahead and get a digi 002 since my 4 yr old digi 001 crashed several times and I can`t update past 6.4 with a digi 001. I midi up my 4k with software and play live using the 4k. I use Peak 4 as my editor but I wish I could get Sound Forge for Mac (I checked ya posts and went to the site) but I use what I got cuz I am what I ams. All well take it easy young blood. Check ya later. Less it more when you know what cha doing. :D
User avatar

By Lampdog Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:34 am
I've played with Peak maybe 3 times and I've seen that it is just like Sound Forge but on mac, you are str8 with that.
User avatar

By Something Like That Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:40 am
Speakin on that simplicity tip. I'm about to clear some things out of my studio. I find that I mostly use my S950 and MPC3k and Microkorg. I have a Alesis Midiverb 4 that I powered up once just to make sure it works. I gotta Proteus 1 that I have never used, just hooked it up to my board to see what type of sounds its got. I've got an DPS12 with an unreliable jaz drive that I'm thinking about pawning and a Roland W-30 that has a blown power fuse and won't turn on. (Found out its a cheap repair)..shoot, I also got a Yamaha SY22 that I hooked up to the proteus to test play the sounds. Besides that, its dusty too.

By elmacaco Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:35 am
hook it all up to your mpc and sequence the fuc out of it.

That's one of the cool things about the MPC (particularly ones with 4 midi outs) it makes lots of gear integrate in a usable way.

Just take the fuse to radio shack and get the same value, pop it in and there you go, classic 12 bit sampler at your disposal.
User avatar

By Blue Haze Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:40 pm
Lampdog wrote:I've played with Peak maybe 3 times and I've seen that it is just like Sound Forge but on mac, you are str8 with that.


Hey Lamp, man I then f*k around and pick up that ebook on laying drums from samplecraze and bugged out on the frequencies. I got Peak 4 which doesn`t to my knowledge (I may be wrong) have sine, trangle, and pulse wave creaters like Soundforge and other editors. So if you are willing to give back to the hood cuz you are one of my heroes ha, ha, ha, and teach me how to fish like where I can download and tune such waves I would greatly appriecate it. Just point me in the right direction. Damm I see it before put didn`t realize the knowledge that was dropping.

"Give to the hood, Give back to the hood" NAS

:D

By dhough6131 Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:49 pm
YOO... my boy has a cd of College Dropout pre-mixed down and mastered and it sounds **** DOOOOOKKIIEEEE. WOW they really polished his sound up.. he is dope at what he does but that cd i heard was horrible. I will get a copy of it and try to post some audio snippits.... let you see for your self.
User avatar

By BRAVO Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Yea but what does that prove - He aint no engineer! He just puts it down the way he seys fit then them guys fix it up nice
User avatar

By bhunt Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:01 pm
I'm pretty simple with my set up. 1K into a AW16G, and add a little bit of the 1080 to spice things up. I really don't even use my ASR as much. Simple is deff the way to go. Most of us don't learn that until we spend a few G's on gear though

By dhough6131 Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:16 pm
yea for sure im not knockin his abilities at all.. but wait until you hear this ish for sure.... his drums are garbage before engineer... most times peoples got clean drums... like out of the shower. and he PUNCHES in alot with his verses, which again, is OK when making an album BUT to a point.....
User avatar

By BRAVO Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:20 pm
dhough6131 wrote:yea for sure im not knockin his abilities at all.. but wait until you hear this ish for sure.... his drums are garbage before engineer... most times peoples got clean drums... like out of the shower. and he PUNCHES in alot with his verses, which again, is OK when making an album BUT to a point.....


I hear you....Lol

Well If its a worth listen then throw it up. This should be fun 8)
User avatar

By MattMatiks PG Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:21 pm
BRAVO wrote:
dhough6131 wrote:yea for sure im not knockin his abilities at all.. but wait until you hear this ish for sure.... his drums are garbage before engineer... most times peoples got clean drums... like out of the shower. and he PUNCHES in alot with his verses, which again, is OK when making an album BUT to a point.....


I hear you....Lol

Well If its a worth listen then throw it up. This should be fun 8)


You know this will only fuel the Kanye hatin that goes on these boards... O well...