For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By bluemaze.com Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:02 am
keyz .. i would suggest u go another way ...if all u really want to do is track ur beat in stereo....I'm sure you can find any number of "free"   :D  programs tracking to handle your needs .. Workin with a stereo mix leaves you with little flexibility ...  why buy a program that u wont be able to take advantage of ??

just my 2 cents

The Maze[/color]

By earthmorphosis Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:27 am
i dwnloaded the free version and it linked up with my soundcard without a problem... i made no adjustments

Yo BlueMaze, are you using a Mac or PC?  You must be using a PC.  I was under the impression that Pro Tools will only work with Digidesign hardware.  Actually I know that to be a fact.  But since I use Pro Tools with a 001, and a Mac I dont really know what up with 'Free'. I have never  used it.  Sorry for bad info, but it was hearsay.  But if you CAN use your soundcard, why would anyone with a PC get an M-box?  I agree with you, stereo inputs are very limiting- but there are other programs you can get for free (especially for PC) that will do what the M-box does.  Its just not gonna be Pro Tools......So what![/color]

By keyzfame Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:56 am
ok im gona break this down for yall. In my heart i dream of seeing my music(drums,snares, keyz,effects) on 8 or more tracks but that means sooner or later im gona have to upgrade the mpc and the motif outputs and thats gona cost me about 6 to 700 dollars and i dont have that right now so  the m-box would do me good as of now. I know we must always plan for the future and see that i will sooner or later have those upgrades on the motif and mpc so with the m-box i will be limited, but if i go to a bigger studio those outputs would be more useful there plus the fact i will have a understanding for pro tools would be good to know. The truth is i got a crew that raps and being that im the only one buying anything(and thats the way i like it to be cause that means its all mines no questions ask) the last thing i said i was gona buy is some kind of recording system. Im done with hardware recorders, i want to see the overal music. So no its not just about recording my beats cause if it was i would just hit record on my phillips standalone cd recorder and its a done job.  So yea i will be working with rappers and singers. Plus like dr Dre said some times you dont want everybody knowing where you live so the main reason i got a laptop is to be able to come to "YOU" record. I dont have fire wire so the only 8 track sound card that would work right now for my lap top is the layla 24/96 thats a cardbus sound card. Thats gona cost me 700 no problem but the m-box is 450 and before i get to 700 i do got to past 450 so i feel i could atlease try the mbox out for a month and if it dont work return it and move on(see i got the motif cause it was cheaper than the triton but i really wanted the triton but now i know i pick the right board with the motif). last but not lease im gona be doing some recording projects other than just making beats so if i get any other sound card im gona have to get a software program too and thats gona cost me also. Right now i got cool edit pro 2.0 i found the cheat code to unlock the free down load but i dont know nothing about it and everybody just talks a bout it like its the C.B.A. of recording and i want to go pro! I hope this wasnt to long holla back! :D[/color]

By bluemaze.com Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:47 am
yo earth ... yeah im using a pc .... the whole protools free thing is like a demo ... if your serious about recording 8 tracks aint hardly enough to get u by ... thats why u can use whatever soundcard u like with the free version ...

i dwnloaded it bcuz I plan on getting a digi 001 running on a g4 soon .. i really want to hit the ground running when i get that crackin.. all my experience so far has been on someone elses TDM system ...as a matter of fact, i wanna holler at you about the specs of your Mac... and what drives ur running ..

hit me at [email protected]

keyz ... i know u said u wanna be mobile .. but .. are you gonna drag a mic- pre and compressor with you when u go to record someone ?? this music sh#t is expensive as I'm sure you know ... I always try to make the right decision the first time buying gear ...  keep researching ... Pro tools is the bomb but theres alot of stuff out there that might be better for you ... Cool edit pro is a great start ...especially for free..
with good converters you could get wreck recording with that program alone ...

my 2 cents

The Maze[/color]

By freq Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:53 am
Save your chips and get the digi001.  You can always find it used on ebay for $500-$600.  All of those other programs are cool and all, but in the real world, Protools is all that matters.  I've never seen one single beat-maker or studio (in L.A.) flowers with any other program.  You won't find any other program, including Logic, in the big studios.  Most of my clients say, "Yeah, I used to use ", but they ALL use Protools now.  Most of the cats I work with have a digi 001 setup at the crib, then they drop their beats on the big setup (HD or Mix Plus) at the studio.  Even the young homies all use the digi 001 now.  I personally prefer to drop the beat on the HD running at, at least, 96k.  That 192 I/O has great sounding converters on it.  Get the digi 001 just to learn Protools, if nothing else.  Seriously.  Your digi 001 and Protools knowledge may even get you some engineering gigs where the thing will pay for itself.  I missed out on a ez $500 (xfers, an hours work) the other day because I don't have a Protools rig yet.  All the 827's and A800's in the L.A. scene are collecting dust.  It's all about Protools.  You can do just about anything with the digi 001 that you can do with the big system.  It doesn't sound nearly as good, and the processing power is limited, but it's still bangin for the $$$.  I just found out that Dre is on the HD3, but the funny thing is that he's running it at 44.1!!!  What the devil?  If everything works out in the next couple of weeks, I'll be gettin my very first PT rig...the HD3.  I'm running my #### at 192 though![/color]

By famekeyz Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:33 pm
This kezfame(i get to use my real name now=Fame keyz)
ok guys i understand what yall are telling but I HAVE A LAP TOP COMPUTER NOT A DESK TOP so i cant get the digi 001 :( man if i could do that i wouldnt care about 8 inputs with someone else sound card i would be ordering the digi 001 but i cant get it on a laptop so maybe imust look at the m-box. Am i gona be really moving to the point it matters...yes.! this summer i plan to be lot places from Va to Atl, to nyc and maybe down to fl. So other than bringing socks and underware, my laptop and a condencer mic is gona come too! maybe should of got a desk top mac or pc but i had plans of making moves with my music so in the future i might get one but for now i got to ride the laptop being that i still got 2months to pay it off and i just got it in nov. 02! i think right now being that my only choice would be the m-box(oyea i dont have a firewrie port) i feel just having that and learning protools and for myself having only 2 tracks and the rest are for my boys might mean alot than having more tracks with some other software and not knowing jack about protools. so im gona get the m-box cause thats my only option and look over my shoulder later on. i really must say all you guys have help me alot out. i mean yall gave me just about every point to look at. Good lookin out