For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Smoove03 Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:11 pm
whats up? my 880 module didnt come with a manual. need a little help...

i started a beat to test the sounds (great sounds by the way). i wanted to use a few instruments from the jv...so I set track one to MIDI:1a (which is the jv module) and set my pgm....ok so i recorded a mian melody....

now I tried to add a new track using another patch from the jv...set track 2 to MIDI:2a and set my program...only im not able to set the program for MIDI channel 2 on the jv. it wont let me use two MIDI channels at one time from the jv. when im ready for channel 2 on the jv I change the RxCH to 2 (im guessing this is how I switch the midi channel??) am i doing this right? because when I switch to RxCH 2 im not able to hear the main melody I played on channel 1. and if I change the instrument on channel 2, it changes channel 1 also...am i making sense?

is the jv880 not multitimbral? is there a way I can use more then one instrument/midi channel at a time on this module?

any help much appreciated 8)

By Smoove03 Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:42 pm
i found a place to download the manual. i've been reading through it but still cant seem to find out how to switch to another midi channel when I want to use another patch on the jv...

can anyone let me know what i need to do to set which midi channel a particular patch is on?

Do I have to actually change the RxCH (which is the midi channel) and SAVE the patch into memory for it to change? really need help...i know some of yall have worked wit a jv880 before!

By ntalec Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:27 pm
I would suggest you spend some time with the manual to understand what the PATCH/PERFORM button does.

By Smoove03 Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:33 pm
been there man...i try to do my research before droppin nonsense threads, but it wont work for me. thanks anyway fam. ill probably stumble onto it like i do everything else...

By ntalec Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:35 pm
Don't take this the wrong way,
but WTF :?

Patch is a single sound
Performance is multitimbral

By Smoove03 Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:17 pm
naw no offense man! :)

your right. i've read the manual. probably not as much about the performance mode as I should have, which im doing NOW...but when im in front of the jv and im in performance mode, i dont understand it......

like you said i should spend more time with the manual which i plan on doing. i just hoped someone could let me know real quick...but aint happen

appreciate the reply ntalec

By ntalec Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:10 pm
I don't have my JV anymore, but you go into PERFORM then press EDIT.
You then page through the screens, it allows you to set the voices for each channel, the MIDI receive for each channel (you can have multiple voices receive the same channel to build a stacked sound) adjust the volume, panning, EFX etc for each voice and the rhythm track.

By Smoove03 Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:35 pm
appreciate it Ntalec. Thats all i needed

you the man 8)
By Jay Johnson Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:33 pm
Am in the process of trying to midi my JV 880 and DM 5 modules to the MPC X
Anyone with helpful information
Just getting back into the business and am not up to speed of new world of production
Want to make sure my process of midi is correct
Thankful for any advice