For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Exoterik Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 am
Have any of you ever heard of a Rock band ever using an MPC? I'm sure your Trent Reznors of the world can freak a MPC, and I know most major studios have MPC's equipped. Just wondering if any major Rock bands have programmed drums (or anything) on the MPC.
Last edited by Exoterik on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By j.m Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:45 am
I've seen Limp Bizkit in the studio with a Mpc4000 - does that count?
:)

By rokuez Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:39 pm
there are a ton of 80's rock bands that used drum machines in lui of a real drummer.
i thought lincoln park used an mpc or maybe it was an mpd

By sixking Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:07 pm
rokuez wrote:there are a ton of 80's rock bands that used drum machines in lui of a real drummer.
i thought lincoln park used an mpc or maybe it was an mpd

they use both

By dollabillbeats Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:44 pm
hyena wrote:i remember seeing linkin park with an mpc (dont remember which) on stage.

2000xl

By mrcrappypantson Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:09 pm
Ween uses a white 2000xl on the newish live DVD of theirs.

By appalachianillogic Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:09 pm
a lot of rock bands use mpc's (tv on the radio is another example) ... a lot of musicians use mpc's full stop. more than you'd expect and in all styles of music ... but hiphop cats just seem to really like to shout about it :)

By j.m Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:40 am
appalachianillogic wrote:a lot of rock bands use mpc's (tv on the radio is another example) ... a lot of musicians use mpc's full stop. more than you'd expect and in all styles of music ... but hiphop cats just seem to really like to shout about it :)

Maybe that's because most serious musicians see it as another tool in the process - not as their MAIN Instrument. :wink:

But if the only thing people can do, is "bangin'" pads and triggering oneshot loops - they better praise the machine, because without it they wouldn't make any "music" at all. lol

But I might be wrong. :wink:

By J.Daniels Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:19 am
Tv on the radio seem to be the best example of a rock band utilizing an mpc. Dave Sitek's the man!

By TheMPCRipper Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:16 pm
I don't know if he ever used an MPC or not, but Phil Collins used to use a bunch of drum machines.

By djkain Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:46 pm
Joe Hahn of Linkin Park uses an MPC2000XL, an MPC2000, and two MPD16s I believe.

By enotide Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:17 pm
I just saw an add with him and a bunch of Trigger fingers, he might just have done that for the add though.
I know he used to use MPD's alot, but haven't seen anything from him lately.

By aliengroover Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:13 pm
MPCs have been floating around in Rock in studios for ages, and on stage for a while. Drummers in many genres have used MPCs live to trigger extra sounds or loops, and Rock is no exception. Now, though, you actually have cats up there operating MPCs as part of the band.

On a side note, I heard of a band once that had the visual effects guy as part of the group. The only other thing he had to do was occasionally add a keyboard part. To me, that makes an MPC "musician" seem as standard as a bassist in a band.
Peace