For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Jeremy Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 am
I have only been creating hip-hop for 2-3 years now and the MPC5000 is my first hardware production center. Despite that, I have extensive Pro Tools training for attending college for music production and also record engineering. I have no complaints what so ever about the new MPC and I've had a blast playing around with it for the past week. Now that I am ready to actually use it along with the rest of my studio gear I am trying to sync it with Pro Tools. I have been having troubles doing so but it isn't the hardware, its the software. I know this because I successfully synced both the MPC5000 and MPK49 with Reason and both are not syncing with Pro Tools.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Have you fixed it? How?
By 4dahaterz Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:03 am
This works with all MPC's and also with other versions of Pro Tools highers then 6.1

Configuration of Pro Tools and MPC-2000 and other MPC Models for sync using MIDI Beat Clock and MIDI Time Code on Windows XP Pro Tools 6.9 or Higher.
Configuration of Pro Tools and MPC-2000 for sync using MIDI Beat Clock and MIDI Time Code on Windows.

1) The following setup is for both MTC and MIDI Beat Clock. (When using MTC provide a bar or two of pre-roll)

2) With Pro Tools LE or Pro Tools HD version 6.x, you'll need an interface with MIDI capability such as a MIDI I/O, Digi 002 rack or mixer, Digi 001, or third party MIDI interface.

3) Verify that there is a device created , GO TO Setups menu, MIDI Studio and create a MPC 2000 by clicking "create" choose manufacture and model then the Input Port and Output port on your MIDI interface. Check the properties to check for any preferences to enable MTC or MIDI Beat Clock.

In Pro Tools:
1) go to Setups > Peripherals > Synchronization > Generic MTC > port = DIGI 002 (or, other MIDI Interface of choice)
2) Go to MIDI -> MIDI Beat Clock -> make sure boxes for Enable MIDI Beat Clock and MPC 2000 are filled in.
3) Session setup > Frame Rate =30 and MTC to port = MPC 2000

In the MPC 2000:
1) go to > MIDI Sync> Frame Rate=30, MIDI Clock (stands for MIDI Beat Clock; Choose either MTC or MIDI Beat clock here), receive MMC=off, Port 1 (There are 2 MIDI INS and 2 MIDI outs on the MPC 2000; VERIFY the MIDI cable going from the MIDI interface into either MIDI IN Port 1 or MIDI IN Port 2 corresponds to the Port selected on the MPC 2000's Midi sync menu)

7) press PLAY on the MPC 2000 (it will wait for sync from Pro Tools

8 ) press PLAY on Pro Tools; it will trigger the MPC 2000.

Reason should be running in Rewire, so it should automatically sync when you open Reason up as an Instrument Plug In in Pro Tools
By rickrock305 Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:00 pm
Jeremy wrote: Despite that, I have extensive Pro Tools training for attending college for music production and also record engineering.

and you can't figure out how to sync something with pro tools? wow :roll: :oops:
By Jeremy Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:59 pm
Thanks for all that. Unfortunatly I had all that done except the PT session setup and it still isn't syncing. I can't find where to setup the frame rate in the MPC5000 but if I rememeber correctly it is suppose to auto detect that. I'll have to break out the manual again and do some reading.
By Jeremy Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:14 pm
rickrock305 wrote:
and you can't figure out how to sync something with pro tools? wow :roll: :oops:

I am new to the MPC. I have synced many things with Pro Tools before but it is something with these Akai products. I can't get Pro Tools to transmit or receive MIDI from or to them.

I'm sure it is something like how a lot of people are having troubles syncing the MPK49 with FL Studio.
By BostonGreen Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:29 pm
I had an interesting sync setup earlier, was really surprised how it all worked ...

Internet radio playing into my Korg Kaoss KP3, that running the auto bpm detector.
The Kaoss acted as master, sending Midi Clock to the MPC, that in turn sent Midi Timecode out to my pc and syncing with Acid Pro and also Ableton Live.

Didnt sync perfect at times due to the Kaoss altering the bpm on the fly to suit the incoming audio signal, which if playing pads etc with no definate beat it goes all screwey.
By 4dahaterz Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:12 am
So you know how to set pro tools up with no problem to be the Master? You just need to know how to get to the correct menus on the MPC 5000 Correct?

Try page 167 of the Manual, Syncing the MPC 5000 With the MIDI Beat Clock, with MPC as Slave.

or Midi Time Code, with MPC as Slave.
By UBANKRECORDS Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:14 pm
rickrock305 wrote:
Jeremy wrote: Despite that, I have extensive Pro Tools training for attending college for music production and also record engineering.

Just because dude had training on Pro-Tools doesn't mean they taught him how to sync with an MPC 5000.

I am attending SAE in Nashville in September Jeremy. Which school are you attending?? I am majoring in Electronic Production.

U-Bank Records

http://www.myspace.com/ubankrecords