Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By horisonten Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 pm
Jacid1968 wrote:Thank you for all the info provided. Put a new screen in my MPC 1000 yesterday, works perfectly, looks great. You don't have to make any changes to the cable, just solder a wire on the board from pin 9 to pin 20. There is no connection on pin 9 on the board so this is completely safe to do, how I did it. Traced from that pin and it has no tracks going anywhere. Thanks again to you all.

Just out of curiosity. Did you solder on the cables directly on the LCD? Did you need to flip/mirror the cables?
By Sense-A Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:07 pm
Did you skip pin 1 on MPC 1000 side?

If you did NOT, then you are indeed connecting a +5 volt to a ground. pin 2 to 1 and pin 3 to 2

You said you have a connection on every pin. You shouldn't. MPC 1000 pin 1 is not connected.
By gofart Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:04 pm
Has anyone installed the LCD screen successfully? I'm thinking of doing this project but I'm very worried that i might brick my mpc. can someone also give me a link to the pin heads and wires they used?
By vanwerk Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:57 am
Jacid1968 wrote:Thank you for all the info provided. Put a new screen in my MPC 1000 yesterday, works perfectly, looks great. You don't have to make any changes to the cable, just solder a wire on the board from pin 9 to pin 20. There is no connection on pin 9 on the board so this is completely safe to do, how I did it. Traced from that pin and it has no tracks going anywhere. Thanks again to you all.

Oof great idea, this would have removed the need to make a "custom" ribbon cable lol!
By solarion Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:08 am
vanwerk wrote:I emailed BuyDisplay regarding Pins 21 & 22, and they told me to just solder Pin 21 directly to Vcc (Pin 3, 5V on the LCD) and Pin 22 to Ground (Pin 2 on the LCD).

So I was replacing a screen in my MPC5000 and happily this solution worked for me with drawing 5V for the LED backlight.

For anybody in the future who is also searching on how to do this yourself:

- I bought this screen from MPJA (you can see in the comments somebody mentions that it plugs in to the MPC 5000).
- I took the old screen, the dimmer PCB, and the inverter PCB out.
- I cut out the pin header on the new screen (as it was soldered on the wrong side and wouldn't fit onto the ribbon) and soldered on a new header.
- I soldered the positive (red) LED cable to pin 2 (5V for LCD logic) and the negative (black) LED cable to pin 1 (ground - 0V).
- I plugged the data ribbon cable back in.

No cross-wiring needed. It might be necessary if you want one of the nicer black & white ones from BuyDisplay (and I may yet do that) but this one is plug and play.
By Sense-A Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:10 pm
I've been researching for about a year how to develop an adapter that converts low voltage video signals (LVDS) like our MPC's use to VGA or HDMI outputs. I don't expect it to upgrade resolution or anything magical like that. I mean, just to mirror the display to a TV screen or monitor in the same native dot matrix resolution.. Kind of like a VGA output expansion board on the MPC 3000.

An arduino kit could probably be programmed to accomplish something like this. I've read about them processing video signal conversion up to 640x480. Though the utility value and usefulness of it is probably not worth the time trying to develop it.

Or Texas Instruments has components to do this. For example, this chip can convert LVDS signal to RGB (red green blue) signal https://www.ti.com/product/DS90CF386#product-details##features and then this https://www.ti.com/product/THS8200 can convert RGB to VGA.

Maybe someone more nerdy than me wants to try to pick up where I left off.