Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By geeklapeeno Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:09 pm
I'm trying to route the MPC Spdif OUT to the Focusrite Sapphire PRO24 Spdif IN without success.

Evetything works good, the PRO24 Spdif OUT to MPC Spdif IN works great, I can record samples in DIGITAL.

I'm going crazy!

The sample rate is 44.1KHz, when I try to change the PRO24 Sync Source from INTERNAL to SPDIF, it turns to No Lock.

The cables are Ok, I use a 75ohm video cable for SPDIF link.

Any help?

EDIT: I'm using JJOS1 registered.
By Ocular Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:20 am
Keep the sync source internal. Everything else from your description seems right just make sure your spdif 1 and 2 channels are on in the saffire mix control.
By geeklapeeno Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 am
Hi Ocular, thank you for your answer.

Ocular wrote:Keep the sync source internal. Everything else from your description seems right just make sure your spdif 1 and 2 channels are on in the saffire mix control.

What do you mean with spdif 1 & 2 are on??

I have two mono channels on the mixer with SPDIF1 and SPDIF2, that's all. I don't see any settings to turn them on or off...
By Ocular Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 am
geeklapeeno wrote:I have two mono channels on the mixer with SPDIF1 and SPDIF2, that's all.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Keep sync as internal, make the right connections, and hit play on the mpc. Everything should work fine and you should get a signal on those two channels
By geeklapeeno Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm
Update:

I've connected the coax output of a CD player to the SP24 digital input and it just works fine. I am also able to sync with the CD Player clock, if I want to.

I've also installed the original AKAI OS, latest version, same problem: no digital output.

I start thinking the spdif output of the MPC is defective...
By Ocular Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:11 pm
Defective hardware is always a possibility. Try to get a second opinion by taking the mpc to an audio electronics technician and testing it on their setup or even a friends setup if possible.
Good luck man. I hope it's just a matter of you doing something wrong rather than a broken spdif out...
By geeklapeeno Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:00 pm
Another User seems to have same problems. He wrote me privately but I do not understand how to answer a PM (this forum sometimes is a little bit tricky!). I invite the user to share his problem on the public side:

Hi, Im having a problem getting my focusrite 14 to pick up the MPC's digital signal via spdif, I'm just wondering if you ever managed to work out what the problem was when you tried?

Thanks and best,
E
By geeklapeeno Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:06 pm
The answer to the user is simple: there's not an easy solution.

I noticed the SPDIF output level of the MPC1K is very LOW. Probably the Saffire needs a SPDIF signal a little bit higher. The two device are not compatible, but they work good with other device.

Now I have a Virus TI, so I connect the MPC SPDIF out to the Virus and the SPDIF out of the Virus to the Saffire, it works good. But I want to be able to connect the MPC directly to the Saffire too.

I'm in contact with both AKAI and Focusrite techs, waiting for a solution.

Probably the only solution is to use a SPDIF converter, like the M Audio CO2....

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html
By Ocular Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:52 pm
geeklapeeno wrote:I noticed the SPDIF output level of the MPC1K is very LOW.

Okay, so you are getting a level in the mixcontrol software when you hit play on the mpc, right? Hit mode + pad 10 (other mode) and check the master level. It should be set to 0 db or -6 db to get a nice signal out of it.

The two devices are compatible. I've had two saffire units and never had any problems connecting the spdif input to the mpc spdif output. The only problem I've had with the saffire spdif is when I hooked up a turntable that has a spdif output....never got that to work. But the mpc and saffire should work fine. Hang in there guys, we'll figure it out.
By m:t:c Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:58 am
Any luck solving this? Having similar issues with my PRO24 as well. I did a test with "Saffire LE" SPDIF IN & OUT and they work like they should.
By geeklapeeno Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:05 pm
m:t:c wrote:Any luck solving this? Having similar issues with my PRO24 as well. I did a test with "Saffire LE" SPDIF IN & OUT and they work like they should.

I'm waiting for a Saffire PRO40, I'll test the MPC on it. In the meantime I'm going to build a SPDIF coax to optical converter. So I can connect 2 digital inputs to the PRO40 bypassing the SPDIF issue at the same time.
By fallenpurpose Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:06 pm
BUMP

HI

Instead of starting a new thread i thought id ask here and try my chances..
Im having a similar problem with my mpc 1000 and my Saffire Pro 24.

Iv had my mpc for about 2 weeks now, i purchased a S/PDIF cable today, I have the out going from the mpc and the in going to my audio device (Saffire Pro 24)

I have done what Ocular has mentioned above about making the right connections and making sure the S/PDIF sliders are up but im not getting so much as a squeak, no sign of life at all, not even a tiny bit on the level metre...

Does anybody have any ideas on how to help us out?

Thanks in advance.
By geeklapeeno Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:38 pm
I received a pro40 and it did not work with the MPC. Then I received a new pro40 and now it works.

Some saffire need an high spdif input signal, the mpc outputs a very low signal, that's the problem.

The solution is to amplify the mpc output signal with a device like the CO2 from M-Audio, or to build an spdif amplifier, it's not complicated, it's also very cheap, but some electronic basic skills are required.
By fallenpurpose Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm
Good job i just embarked on an electrical course at college then..

I dont feel as though i will go down that route at the moment though as i just want to get my beats onto the PC ASAP.

Do you know any other ways i can record from my MPC to the computer?

Is it true that i can just use a midi cable? (Real noob question i know, but this is my first piece of hardware)

Thanks man, also please let me know how you get on with that amplifier, i would be very interested to know how you went about it.