Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By StayKrushN Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:01 am
I want to sidechain my Kick drum from the MPC 1000 in realtime, to the bass outputting from my Moog Sub Phatty, so that when the kick hits, the Moog cuts out.

The MPC 1000 has 4 assignable outs + stereo out. A Moog Sub Phatty is feeding mono channel #1 of a Mackie Onyx 1220i. The 1220i has 4 "inserts" for each of it's Mono channels.

Do the assignable outputs of the MPC 1000 only output sound when you're in the mixer screen, or do you assign pads in the mixer screen one time and go back to making your music and instead of said pad playing through the MPC's main Stereo Output, it only plays through whatever Assignable Output you chose in the mixer screen?

I currently don't own the 3630, but if it could help me achieve this, I'd pick one up asap.

Currently I have the hookup as following:
1x Sub Phatty mono out -> 1220i mono channel input 1
1x MPC 1000 stereo out -> 1220i stereo channel 5/6
1x Mackie Onyx 1220i, has 4 "Inserts" for the first 4 Mono channels of the mixer

I'm confused mainly because I don't know if I assign the Kick to an Assignable output on the MPC Mixer screen, if it will output audio when I exit the mixer screen and continue working on the song.

thanks so much

EDIT: I found this thread (PSR's comment about half way down), but it's more about sidechain what is in the MPC and sending the output of the compressor back into the MPC's Record In. That's not what I'm after. It's similar though.

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152372
By tapedeck Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:27 pm
I'm confused mainly because I don't know if I assign the Kick to an Assignable output on the MPC Mixer screen, if it will output audio when I exit the mixer screen and continue working on the song.

could you maybe try it?
you'll find it does...but why you haven't tried that yet :hmmm:
3630's are awesome, sidechaining is an overrated internet term, you can get great pumping compression with informed level setting. you'll get great results if you just run the mixer outputs into the 3630 and adjust the volume of the moog a lot lower than the kick drum.

having said that, you can still sidechain the hell out of it with a 3630 and a doubled kick drum from the mpc going out the individual out.
By StayKrushN Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:55 pm
well i live a ways out from the nearest little music store, where usually the guy has to custom make cables for me or I buy them online. i also don't own a 3630 myself and i've never used the extra outs of the mpc before.

but thanks for the info. nice to know it'll work. i saw where Daft Punk used the 3630 a bit so I figured it could help me out in some way haha

just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean "a doubled kick drum from the individual out?

you mean I'd hear the same kick drum through both the individual out AND the regular stereo out?

anyways, thanks so much tapedeck
By tapedeck Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:24 pm
yea if you want the daft punk sound you don't need to necessarily sidechain...its all about getting your levels right and hitting the compressor.

if you must sidechain, you could double the kick drum so you hear it in the mix via stereo out, and the one from the individual out is used just to key the compressor.

i still don't get why you haven't even tried what you are asking about...you don't need custom cables or a 3630 to try that out. you don't need custom cables for any of this. try it out for yourself.
By pixie42 Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:46 am
Yes ! That's the way I'm sidechaining my pulse2 to the kick drum.
Double the kick track : the original one is routed to the stereo outputs then to my mixer, the second is routed to individuals outs then to the compressor trigs.
Like tapedeck said I also have some interesting results running the mixer outputs into the compressor for an overall compression effect, but never quite succeed achieving that "pump" sound that way.
Tapedeck, could you be more specific with your method ? I understand it's all about getting the levels right before activating the compression. But once the levels are set, what's next with the compressor ?