Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Sense-A Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:27 pm
I tried to install a black after market LCD screen. Used the pinout we discussed. I got the screen to power on but the MPC 1000 wouldn't go through the boot procedure and the display was all lit up but no font or visible text. I tried to adjust the contrast to see if that was the problem.

I think i did a poor job soldering the headers and might just have to desolder it and start over. Maybe solder spilled over and is shorting two pins.

In the meantime i stuck the original display back in because I missed my MPC 1000 and got tired of it sitting on the work bench for weeks.
By claudeimanuel Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:15 pm
I believe that ribbon cable would work super well. Could you update whether you ever took on the project? I’m looking to do this asap

mattworldp wrote:Can anyone weigh in on whether or not it’s necessary to create the idc ribbon cable yourself as @Slump suggests in his mod summary or would it be ok if I bought a premade 20x10 IDC male/female ribbon cable such as this:

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Har ... zCRQ%3D%3D
By Joan Dondelinger Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:33 pm
Hello, I´m new to the world of MPCs and got my MPC 1000 in December.

I am not new to modding all kinds of stuff and also have the knowledge and tools required for 3D printing.

I am currently looking into do the screen swap mod.
I'll try it using those two components (i have more than enought spare wire for the pin bridging so no need to buy that).

Screen: (30 Euro with 12 day shipping)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291285 ... ry_from%3A

Cabel: (3 euro with shipping)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... EzXs1bax1X

The configuration I'll try will be:
30cm, 20p, type B

I´ll probably oreder today and keep you up to date. I am currently writing my bachelor thesis so it might take some time for me to get to assemble it. I would guess mid Feb.

About the bigger screen:
I do have a 3d modeling tool and printer but am actually not to keen un buying the bigger screen and jjosxl
I am currently living in Germany so if someone around would be up for an exeriment.(basically if someone would want to mod there MPC and provide me with the screen and parts so i could design and test it and send the finish produc back) I might conisder trying that.
By Joan Dondelinger Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:06 pm
Joan Dondelinger wrote:Hello, I´m new to the world of MPCs and got my MPC 1000 in December.

I am not new to modding all kinds of stuff and also have the knowledge and tools required for 3D printing.

I am currently looking into do the screen swap mod.
I'll try it using those two components (i have more than enought spare wire for the pin bridging so no need to buy that).

Screen: (30 Euro with 12 day shipping)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291285 ... ry_from%3A

Cabel: (3 euro with shipping)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... EzXs1bax1X

The configuration I'll try will be:
30cm, 20p, type B

I´ll probably oreder today and keep you up to date. I am currently writing my bachelor thesis so it might take some time for me to get to assemble it. I would guess mid Feb.

About the bigger screen:
I do have a 3d modeling tool and printer but am actually not to keen un buying the bigger screen and jjosxl
I am currently living in Germany so if someone around would be up for an exeriment.(basically if someone would want to mod there MPC and provide me with the screen and parts so i could design and test it and send the finish produc back) I might conisder trying that.

Sadly the cable i ordered is the wrong one. It's the right layout but the space between the holes is wrong.. it's only 2mm and i would need 2.54mm .....
By Joan Dondelinger Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:10 pm
I ended up buiding my own wiring harness with some idc cables i had left from other projects. I wired every cable one by one to the screen and followed the instructions found here on this thread.

I can confirm that the screen i ordered works but it's slighty of center :/
You see the whole screen but the spacing on the left is way smaller than on the right...
I might and up "adjusting" the board the screen is on.

Well I hope this information helps someone
By Sense-A Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:13 pm
I think that the elbow pin connector i soldered on isn't letting the ribbon cable i have slide onto the pins deep enough to make connection, which is why i got the display to somewhat work but it was probably missing a row of pin connections on that cable.

I'm stuck trying to find a new cable and pin header combination that fits inside and works. I might keep the header i have now and make a custom cable out of arduino or buy the tools i require to make my own ribbon cables. If anyone can help in this department, provide parts or pictures of solutions you came up with, this would help me leap this hurdle. Thank you.