Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By horisonten Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 pm
Jacid1968 wrote:Thank you for all the info provided. Put a new screen in my MPC 1000 yesterday, works perfectly, looks great. You don't have to make any changes to the cable, just solder a wire on the board from pin 9 to pin 20. There is no connection on pin 9 on the board so this is completely safe to do, how I did it. Traced from that pin and it has no tracks going anywhere. Thanks again to you all.

Just out of curiosity. Did you solder on the cables directly on the LCD? Did you need to flip/mirror the cables?
By gofart Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:04 pm
Has anyone installed the LCD screen successfully? I'm thinking of doing this project but I'm very worried that i might brick my mpc. can someone also give me a link to the pin heads and wires they used?
By vanwerk Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:57 am
Jacid1968 wrote:Thank you for all the info provided. Put a new screen in my MPC 1000 yesterday, works perfectly, looks great. You don't have to make any changes to the cable, just solder a wire on the board from pin 9 to pin 20. There is no connection on pin 9 on the board so this is completely safe to do, how I did it. Traced from that pin and it has no tracks going anywhere. Thanks again to you all.

Oof great idea, this would have removed the need to make a "custom" ribbon cable lol!
By solarion Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:08 am
vanwerk wrote:I emailed BuyDisplay regarding Pins 21 & 22, and they told me to just solder Pin 21 directly to Vcc (Pin 3, 5V on the LCD) and Pin 22 to Ground (Pin 2 on the LCD).

So I was replacing a screen in my MPC5000 and happily this solution worked for me with drawing 5V for the LED backlight.

For anybody in the future who is also searching on how to do this yourself:

- I bought this screen from MPJA (you can see in the comments somebody mentions that it plugs in to the MPC 5000).
- I took the old screen, the dimmer PCB, and the inverter PCB out.
- I cut out the pin header on the new screen (as it was soldered on the wrong side and wouldn't fit onto the ribbon) and soldered on a new header.
- I soldered the positive (red) LED cable to pin 2 (5V for LCD logic) and the negative (black) LED cable to pin 1 (ground - 0V).
- I plugged the data ribbon cable back in.

No cross-wiring needed. It might be necessary if you want one of the nicer black & white ones from BuyDisplay (and I may yet do that) but this one is plug and play.
By Sense-A Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:10 pm
I've been researching for about a year how to develop an adapter that converts low voltage video signals (LVDS) like our MPC's use to VGA or HDMI outputs. I don't expect it to upgrade resolution or anything magical like that. I mean, just to mirror the display to a TV screen or monitor in the same native dot matrix resolution.. Kind of like a VGA output expansion board on the MPC 3000.

An arduino kit could probably be programmed to accomplish something like this. I've read about them processing video signal conversion up to 640x480. Though the utility value and usefulness of it is probably not worth the time trying to develop it.

Or Texas Instruments has components to do this. For example, this chip can convert LVDS signal to RGB (red green blue) signal https://www.ti.com/product/DS90CF386#product-details##features and then this https://www.ti.com/product/THS8200 can convert RGB to VGA.

Maybe someone more nerdy than me wants to try to pick up where I left off.
By NicolasFlamel Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:22 pm

Are there any news regarding the different projects you guys did? I'm planning on doing the same with my 1000 but after reading this thread I'm still not sure if it would be necessary to change the ribbon or if it would be enough to solder a wire like Jacid1968 said.

If Jacid is reading this: Did you use the same screen from "buydisplay" like the other ones here?
By SFTRAXx Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 am
NicolasFlamel wrote:

Are there any news regarding the different projects you guys did? I'm planning on doing the same with my 1000 but after reading this thread I'm still not sure if it would be necessary to change the ribbon or if it would be enough to solder a wire like Jacid1968 said.

If Jacid is reading this: Did you use the same screen from "buydisplay" like the other ones here?

I'm going to attempt this myself.

I just copped a buydisplay display and I'm hoping that I can just de-solder the existing pin header on the old LCD and install it on the new display.

Can someone (who has successfully done this) confirm that swapping the pin header (as well as connecting pin 9 to 20) is all that's required?

TIA
By richie Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:23 pm
SFTRAXx wrote:I just copped a buydisplay display and I'm hoping that I can just de-solder the existing pin header on the old LCD and install it on the new display.

Can someone (who has successfully done this) confirm that swapping the pin header (as well as connecting pin 9 to 20) is all that's required?

TIA

Desoldering the existing pin header will take more work than the time to order pin headers.

So spend a few dollars and order spare pin headers and have a poke bowl.
By SFTRAXx Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:38 pm
richie wrote:
SFTRAXx wrote:I just copped a buydisplay display and I'm hoping that I can just de-solder the existing pin header on the old LCD and install it on the new display.

TIA

Desoldering the existing pin header will take more work than the time to order pin headers.

So spend a few dollars and order spare pin headers and have a poke bowl.

Appreciate ya fam! :worthy:

Do you have a link to the correct pin header by any chance?

TIA
By richie Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm
SFTRAXx wrote:Appreciate ya fam! :worthy:

TIA

Any single or double row breakable 2.54mm pin header would be fine. You can check amazon to see what one is delivering the fastest and be good. Type the words "pin header" and you'll see what you're looking for.

I prefer single row ones as can break them down to whatever I want, be it dual row, or other configurations as I use them for a lot of different projects.
By SFTRAXx Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:19 am
richie wrote:
SFTRAXx wrote:Appreciate ya fam! :worthy:

TIA

Any single or double row breakable 2.54mm pin header would be fine. You can check amazon to see what one is delivering the fastest and be good. Type the words "pin header" and you'll see what you're looking for.

I prefer single row ones as can break them down to whatever I want, be it dual row, or other configurations as I use them for a lot of different projects.

Thanks for chiming in. I Appreciate it.

I actually started tryring to de-solder the existing header last night and was like "Just be patient and do it the easy way" lmao!

I was looking at this one.

This should give me the clearance I need.
By SFTRAXx Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:30 am
So, I tried everything today and unfortunately I could not get this to work.

I re-read this thread over and over to see if I missed anything...nope.

Installed new header pin, installed cable, soldered wires, checked continuity, pins, contrast, etc ~ everything was good.. but no action. No matter what I tried - the MPC wouldn't even boot up (It would turn on but no display and no LEDs lit up).

It would be a big help if someone (with a working "buydisplay" brand display) can share some pics of both sides of the LCD so that I can confirm correct installation as well as rule out a faulty display...

For now, the old display is back in the unit and the "buydisplay" display will go back in the box till this can get sorted.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and thanks in advance to anyone who helps us get this sorted.

~Peace
By Bumathan Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 am
Hi @SFTRAXx,

I've just finished installing the "Buydisplay" LCD screen. Thanks to everybody involved, especially for sharing the schematic ;-)

Here's what I did:

- Desolder the 20 pins IDC header from the old green display. You can also use a new ribbon + header if you wish.

- Solder the header on the new display, the red stripe of the ribbon goes at the level of pins 19 and 20, pins 21 at 22 are not connected to the ribbon connector.

- Prepare three wires cut at the correct sizes.

- Solder the first wire between pin 2 and pin 22

- Solder the second wire between pin 3 and pin 21

- Solder the third wire between pin 9 and pin 20

- Optional: Check with a multimeter that the connections are correct, no cold joints, no melted cable housing, no cable touching the other pins etc.

- Put the display back in place, connect the IDC cable to the motherboard and power it on.

- Optional: adjust the contrast (STOP + jogwheel)

For anyone following these instructions. Proceed with caution, double check the connections with a multimeter.

The LCD screen will display some lines and a white screen when it boots up, that's probably normal. I don't remember if the original display also does that.

I'm not super happy with the color and contrast of this display. It's supposed to be white on black background but it's more dark blue... Well it's not an OLED..