I've just finished installing the "Buydisplay" LCD screen. Thanks to everybody involved, especially for sharing the schematic
Here's what I did:
- Desolder the 20 pins IDC header from the old green display. You can also use a new ribbon + header if you wish.
- Solder the header on the new display, the red stripe of the ribbon goes at the level of pins 19 and 20, pins 21 at 22 are not connected to the ribbon connector.
- Prepare three wires cut at the correct sizes.
- Solder the first wire between pin 2 and pin 22
- Solder the second wire between pin 3 and pin 21
- Solder the third wire between pin 9 and pin 20
- Optional: Check with a multimeter that the connections are correct, no cold joints, no melted cable housing, no cable touching the other pins etc.
- Put the display back in place, connect the IDC cable to the motherboard and power it on.
- Optional: adjust the contrast (STOP + jogwheel)
For anyone following these instructions. Proceed with caution, double check the connections with a multimeter.
The LCD screen will display some lines and a white screen when it boots up, that's probably normal. I don't remember if the original display also does that.
I'm not super happy with the color and contrast of this display. It's supposed to be white on black background but it's more dark blue... Well it's not an OLED..