Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By CelloSpike Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:18 pm
MPC 1000, 2.0. I have not modified this machine in any way. I'm also new to MPC and trying to find a workflow that is MPC centered and doesn't need a computer, loop station, or another DAW.

My goal is live looping with MPC pads for beats and my instrument for everything else.

Set up: Instrument is plugged into Record In / Left, Input Thru is ON, and Stereo Out / Left goes to the monitor. MPC works fine and instrument is audible through the monitor.

When I start a sequence, pads work fine and it automatically loops, shifting to Overdub mode. So far so good. However, the now running loop will not record from the instrument. I want to overdub with the instrument, or put it on a parallel track in the sequence. Seems like a really modest goal to me. :roll:

I've searched these forums every way I can think. Either what I want is not possible, or I don't understand the solutions or workarounds offered by others.

I definitely DO NOT want to stop what I'm doing, go to Record Mode, record a sample, trim it, assign it to a pad, go back to making a sequence, and then play it by hitting that pad.

I would be grateful for a reference to a previous post or an answer. If the answer is, 'the MPC can't do that', what then is my best option? I have a Boss RC-300, only three tracks--too limiting; the RC-505 has five--still too limiting.

Thanks for your help.
By CelloSpike Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:41 pm
Ok, I think I've answered my own question. First, it's impossible. Even as recently as the latest rendition of the MPC, it is still impossible. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=187316&p=1754969&hilit=audio+track#p1754969 Second, the reason it is impossible, and will always be impossible, as that post seems to understand, is that Tracks are just collections of MIDI data, not audio files. As the MPC 1000 manual clearly states on p. 6, under "Terminologies in MPC1000": "Performance data will be recorded on a track as a MIDI event. It does not record sounds directly on a track." I will never be able to record my instrument to a track unless Akai invents a new track type which is not a MIDI file, but an audio file. Until then, I guess I'll have to go back to my Boss RC-300, and maybe slave another one, or an RC-505 to it to get enough tracks to do a live looping set. The MPC will just be a dumb audio source, not my main workflow tool. :(
By PrismATX Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 am
PrismATX wrote:Have you tried using the MIDI capabilities of the MPC 1000 to sync it with an external looping pedal? It can be done :smoker:

...well on second thought, if you are talking about being able to simultaneously record samples etc & run beats internally with the MPC 1000 you are correct that it isn't possible- the machine simply wasn't designed that way. That being said, there are a variety of options via MIDI to enable the use of the MPC as the master sequencer/clock control but you have to have all your MPC samples pre-loaded. It might be possible using multiple machines, but it sounds like you're looking for a hardware sampler designed around live looping. I'm not currently aware of one but there are plenty of good pad based options using an Ableton interface...