Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By peptalk Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:01 pm
I use an MPC1000 to sequence various other hardware synths/drum machines. I'm wondering if it's possible to slave the MPC to ableton and use the MPC as a sort of "midi thru" box to let ableton control the hardware?

Specifically wondering if I could do something like Midi 1A on the mpc controlling a Juno Alpha 2. Set that channel in ableton and throw a random chord generator on the track - then send that midi signal through the MPC to the Juno. Would that work? And if so would it also work for multiple instruments? Or only the track/channel I have selected on the screen of the MPC at the time?

I know there's midi mergers/patchbays that would allow me to toggle between the midi being managed by ableton or by the MPC without having to move around a bunch of cables every time. I'm trying to figure out if that's what I need to buy or if I can just get a simple midi (1 i/o) interface and use the mpc itself as a thru.

I've done some digging on this but couldn't find this specific answer so I apologize if this has been covered before.