Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Son Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:10 pm
Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum and the MPC itself and I could use some help. Sorry for bad english, I hope it's readable.

What I have is an MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL 3.57 and 128MB. I bought it a while ago and so far I'm loving it.

To the problem. When sampling in stereo, it's all good. Everything is as should be. But when sampling in mono, regardless how high or low the rec gain, there is a lot of cracling and popping. It sounds as I was tuning an old radio when listening to the sound. It doesn't matter whether mono L, mono R or mono L+R, the problem is still there.

I have tried sampling from a cell phones 3.5mm socket using:
3.5mm TRS to 2x RCA cable, with two RCA to 6.35mm TS adapters. Listening with headphones using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm TRS adapter.

I have also tried sampling from vinyl in the following way with my cheapo vinyl listening equipment:
Non-removable 2x RCA cable from turntable (Dual CS-503-2) to an integrated amplifiers (Akai AM-U55) phono sockets, earth wire in place of course. 2x RCA to 2x RCA from amplifier to MPCs record in socket with two RCA to 6.35mm TS adapters. Again listening with headphones using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm TRS adaptor.

Source of sampling does not seem to affect the problem in any way. Also, if this is of any help, I did some maintenance on the machine. I swapped all the tact switches, a few leds, button kit, pads, knobs etc. I also cleaned inside and out. The problem was there before the operation and it still persists.

I've been searching online for info for the past week or so. I couldn't get any answers from either the MPCs quick start manual or the user manual. Also searched from this forum quite a bit. I found this other thread here which seems to discuss pretty much the same issue but problem was with stereo, so the other way round. RAM seemed to be faulty there. Do you think this could be the case with mine?

If someone has any tips what am I doing wrong or what might cause this problem, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :worthy:
By saltmcgault Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:22 pm
I have the 2500 and I have the same issue except it happens in stereo/mono and also when im just playing loaded samples that didn't have the "bowl of rice crispy's" sound. It will come out of nowhere. Then I just save my project and restart my mpc. Sometimes I have to do it more than once for it to go away. I used deoxit on my qlink sliders, volume knobs, and in output jacks. Ive been jamming out all weekend and so far it hasn't happened. There is a thread regarding this issue but the last time I checked there wasn't a fix for it.
By Son Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:34 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I have the 2500 and I have the same issue except it happens in stereo/mono and also when im just playing loaded samples that didn't have the "bowl of rice crispy's" sound. It will come out of nowhere. Then I just save my project and restart my mpc. Sometimes I have to do it more than once for it to go away. I used deoxit on my qlink sliders, volume knobs, and in output jacks. Ive been jamming out all weekend and so far it hasn't happened. There is a thread regarding this issue but the last time I checked there wasn't a fix for it.

Okay, thanks a dozen for helping out!

I'll have to try the restart trick and maybe get a can of deoxit as well for future needs also. I'm no stranger to a bit of work, but not knowing the source is driving me nuts :hmmm:
By saltmcgault Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:47 pm
@son no problem and yeah it drives me crazy too especially when I've been working on something for +3 hours and then all the sudden the bowl of rice crispy's effects start. Just save your project and restart I even go as far as unplugging my 2500 as well. Idk if it helps but that's what I do so far I haven't had the issue happen since I've used deoxit. Good luck and hit this thread up again if you find the root cause.
By Son Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Okay, for future preference, problem solved for now.

I gave rec gain, volume and q-link pots the Deoxit treatment. Great stuff! That strongly suggests the problem being one of those so I might just end up soldering in replacements in the end. But first lets see how long the effect lasts.