Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By AleGaz93 Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:53 pm
Hi there, I want to connect my mpc to my macbook pro via usb cable but it doesn’t work the computer won’t see the mpc at all.
When I connect it to my windows pc then everything works fine.
The former owner of my mpc used windows pc so I am thinking that my mpc is formatted in a way that only works with windows, could it be? Then what I have to do to solve the problem??
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 pm
It should be as simple as plug and play. What Mac OS are you running?
BTW... it's page 98 & 99 of the manual... "Connecting the MPC1000 to the Macintosh"
By saltmcgault Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:01 pm
If you are trying to record songs or sequences into a daw via mpc1000 to MacBook youre going to need an audio interface. If youre trying to load or transfer saved data. you have to hit mode load or save I believe and hit the "f" button that has USB above it on the screen. I hope this helps you out.
By AleGaz93 Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:51 am
I just wanted to transfer files from mac to mpc1000 but with mac it doesn t just plug and play as with ghe windows pc does. Can the mpc be formatted to work with just one or another operating system?
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:14 pm
AleGaz93 wrote:I just wanted to transfer files from mac to mpc1000 but with mac it doesn t just plug and play as with ghe windows pc does. Can the mpc be formatted to work with just one or another operating system?

Did you read the pages in the manual that juke provided? Looks like I was right. Here you go. You should download the manual to the mpc1000. It will answer a ton of questions you have.

page 98 :WTF:

Connecting the MPC1000
to the Macintosh
01. Insert the memory card to the MPC1000’s card slot.
02. Press the [MODE] key and then the [PAD 2] (LOAD),
or [PAD 3] (SAVE).
In the Load from or Save to field, select MEMORY
CARD. If you wish to load /save to/from the internal
hard disk, select HARD DISK.
03. In the LOAD page, or the SAVE page, press the [F4]
(USB) key.
This brings up the USB page, which you use to connect
the MPC1000 to the PC. That is all for the
MPC1000.
04. Connect the MPC1000’s USB slave jack to your
computer’s USB host jack via USB cable.
05. Removal media will be displayed on the desktop.
To save the data in the computer, select the data
and drag and drop it from the removable disk to
the hard disk. To load the data from the computer,
select the data and drag and drop it from the hard
disk to the removal media.
By JUKE 179r Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 pm
Did you follow the manual on pages 98 & 99? Does your Mac's USB port work? try another USB port?
If you did, plug in your MPC1000 via USB to your Mac, go to Disk Utility and see if the MPC1000 card reader shows up.
I'm going by memory now...
If it shows up in Disk Utility under External and it's grayed out, you will need to Mount it by clicking on the MPC1000 drive and then click Mount.
If the MPC1000 card reader doesn't show up, press Command+D to force update the list of connected drives and go from there.
By vanwerk Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:57 am
Hi all, I'm having a similar issue as OP. Just picked up an MPC1000 today with an internal HDD and no CF card, Akai OS 2.13. I went ahead and formatted the HDD and was able to Save/Load from internal memory OK. To connect to my computer, I followed the section in the manual titled "Chapter 16 : Connecting the MPC1000 to your computer", as mentioned above.

However, I can't access the HDD via USB whether I'm using Mac OS X or Windows. The best I can do is see "MPC1000" in my Macbook's USB Device tree, though it doesn't appear in Finder or Disk Utility:

The various "USB 3.0 Bus" items refer to the USB ports on the Macbook as well as Thunderbolt dock. I've tried each of the Macbook's USB ports, and this is as close as I get.

Any advice on what else to try? I'd like to install the free version of JJ OS and load some samples, etc, but can't seem to do so right now. I don't have a CF card or reader handy, but I'm hoping I can work this out without needing one.

Thanks all!
By bees80 Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:16 pm
For the topic starter: Get a CF card reader, easiest solution.

For vanwerk: I don't have experience with HD's in an MPC. However i did find this usuefull info from this topic: viewtopic.php?p=1616961

Metatron72 wrote:I forget the specific stats but it be needs to an older IDE drive and it was usually a max of 149GB (160GB on the listed size) The 149 ones format at 120 or 125GB. So you must have hit on one that matches the general laptop spec from about 10 years ago, which is what they 1k and 2500 need.

For a machine with only 128MB you are never gonna run out of space and could easily put half a million drum hits and chops on it. :-D

So maybe it's just the HD. I think the easiest solution is get a CF card (and optionally a reader). Or maybe try different HD's if you have some laying around.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:24 pm
The mpc 1k connected to computer is just a big card reader.

Card Reader.

Put a cf in it, you will see the cf on computer.

No hdd access.
By Joe-D Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:55 pm
I am having the same problem. I tried different USBs and ports. I followed the manual and went into LOAD - MODE and USB to MOUNT and I still don’t see the disk on my Macs screens. I went into the Disk Utility and the MPC disk is there but it is greyed out and I can’t mount it. I pressed Command + D as Suggested above and nothing. Any ideas?