Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By ShoopFroggyFrog Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:02 pm
Will a MPC 1000 running Akai OS recognize cf cards larger than 2g? I ordered a verbatim CF for it but it didn't read it and it would just freeze the machine. I tried reformatting and everything. I'm returning the Verbatim cf and I ordered a Sandisk 16g cf because it was cheaper and would arrive faster than a Sandisk 2g cf.

I was wondering if I'd have to get a 2g card and install jjos in order to be able to use a larger card.
By NearTao Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:21 pm
A few thoughts
* I'm using JJOS and have been able to read 128gb cards... so your previous CF may have had something funky (also worked on my MPC 500)
* The format of the partition matters... make sure you use FAT32
* You can create multiple partitions, or smaller partitions than the size of the card if necessary

Good luck!
By ShoopFroggyFrog Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:59 pm
Thank you sir. Your reply is encouraging. My 16g sandisk cf has already shipped and will be here Friday.

Nonetheless, I don't have a cf card reader, so I wouldn't know how to determine if a card uses Fat32 :?

I'm thinking I might have been able to use the cf that I returned if I'd had access to a cf reader and formatted to Fat. :hmmm:

Thank you for your reply
By NearTao Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:31 pm
Use the USB on your MPC, you can mount the CF as a drive over the USB connection, and then work on it from the computer as if the MPC were a card reader. It's USB 1.1 I think, so it can be frustratingly slow, but if you don't have a card reader it ought to work in a pinch.
By ShoopFroggyFrog Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 am
NearTao,

I was having a bit of trouble with the new sandisk 16g card i bought to replace the first verbatim brand card. My primary laptop (with Win 10) would get stuck when I would try accessing the cf. Then I tried my secondary, old @z one (Win 7), which initiated an automatic driver installation. I then became able to view the cf's contents an also export wav's to the cf. Then the 1K started to respond with the cf card inserted ( before, when the cf was inserted it would freeze). After, I became able to access the cf via the 1k and I formatted that ish. I feel coo now that it works. I was looking into other storage mods : /
By JUKE 179r Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:47 am
@ShoopFroggyFrog … thanks for reporting back. Your info will definitely help others with the same problem you had. :nod:
By NearTao Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 pm
I've got both a 64gb and 128gb that work fine as well. I'm not sure a 256gb would work though... It's really a limit that depends on how the OS was written. Honestly, 128gb is already into crazy territory, and I've got that much in the HDD and CF...

I haven't found any issues with larger CFs, other than you cram more stuff onto them and then it takes longer to remember and find what you are looking for.