Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By MPC Curious Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 am
..but the only way I can afford one is if I sell off the ff:

Roland TR8 (no expansions)
Korg ES-1
2 x Zoom SampleTraks

I know what they all can do and why I love 'em..the 1000, I have a good idea of its strengths and limitations. I won't have a whole lot else to sequence with the 1000 if I go for it, as all my other stuff have their own sequencers (Electribe2, Circuit, TB-3, MS20 mini + SQ1), but who knows..maybe later..

Worth it? Nah? Maybe I should swap 'em all for a TR8S and an MPC500..
By Sense-A Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:47 pm
1. Find a way to earn some extra money besides just selling stuff. How about some manual labor?

2. Sell the Korg ES-1 and one of the sampletraks. Keep one sampletrak to give samples low bitrate character (drums).

3. Avoid MPC-500

4. Sample all your favorite sounds from the Roland TR-8 into the MPC 1000. Dedicate an entire day to doing this. Then sell the TR-8 once you've milked it for every sample you can get out of it.

5. Every MPC 1000 needs JJ OS2xl. Factor that in the cost. And possibly a pad upgrade if you get one of the old, flawed MPC 1000's.

6. Choose one unit to sequence all others. If you're not going to use the MPC 1000 for sequencing, then maybe it isn't for you, since sequencing is one of its best functions. If all you want is sampling, the MPC 1000 might not be your best choice.
By MPC Curious Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:58 am
Fair call

Sense-A wrote:1. Find a way to earn some extra money besides just selling stuff. How about some manual labor?

It will take some time, but thankfully I won't have to resort to that lol

Sense-A wrote:2. Sell the Korg ES-1 and one of the sampletraks. Keep one sampletrak to give samples low bitrate character (drums).

tsk..I will miss the x0x programming of the ES-1 and the immediacy of the Zooms. Will have to give this a hard think

Sense-A wrote:3. Avoid MPC-500

I'm not afraid of menu diving and non-visual programming. I've worked with 2-line LCD sequencers and rack gear so..

Sense-A wrote:4. Sample all your favorite sounds from the Roland TR-8 into the MPC 1000. Dedicate an entire day to doing this. Then sell the TR-8 once you've milked it for every sample you can get out of it.

Another tough one. I could do that, but the live programmability is what really appeals to me

Sense-A wrote:5. Every MPC 1000 needs JJ OS2xl. Factor that in the cost. And possibly a pad upgrade if you get one of the old, flawed MPC 1000's.

For sure. See answer to #1

Sense-A wrote:6. Choose one unit to sequence all others. If you're not going to use the MPC 1000 for sequencing, then maybe it isn't for you, since sequencing is one of its best functions. If all you want is sampling, the MPC 1000 might not be your best choice.

I guess my primary goal is to consolidate all my cheap and cheerful sampling boxes and have a single capable unit with robust timing, more extensive on-board sequencing capabilities, higher fidelity + sound editing, more memory. And be reasonably portable. I guess I will have to decide how much those capabilities matter to me vs what I could get out of my current gear

Thanks for taking the time :)