Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By dangomango Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Hi there

I've found lots of posts about buttons becoming unresponsive, but my issue is somewhat different.

My buttons just started behaving v erratically out of the blue, and they're getting worse by the day. I press one button and many other buttons get triggered. E.g. I'll press 'mode' button and instead 'B' button is selected. It's become impossible to navigate as almost every button triggers an unrelated button.

The jog wheel now won't scroll through menus, and instead only controls screen brightness.

I don't know much about electronics but it seems like a connection is shorting?

I didn't do anything unusual with the MPC before this problem came up, except travelling with it, so there's a chance it took a knock, though I didn't notice this.

It's a blue MPC with JJos1.

All help really appreciated!
By E99M Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 am
Hey been having the same problem have you figured anything out? Think I read somewhere about it possibly being something screwed down to tight so I took off the faceplate and it seemed to work fine. after that I installed AKAI os 2.13 and it still seemed to be working but by the time I got JJOS installed the problem was back. Gonna try to mess with it again a little later tonight.
By Sense-A Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:26 pm
A faceplate screwed down too tight or misaligned could force buttons to be pressing down on the tact switches.

Or dust or a sticky substance spilled on the pcb board could be sending false ghost signals and causing erratic behavior.

A pinched ribbon cable could possibly be a cause. Possibly a PSU that is failing to regulate current, although I have not heard of many PSU problems in mpc 1000's so that is unlikely.

I'd take it apart carefully and inspect the PCB board with the tact switches. Maybe even before that, just try booting without the cover on it. See if it was just the cover like someone else said.
By E99M Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 pm
When I took off the faceplate again the buttons worked fine but with it off hitting the pads caused the problem with random buttons triggering. When I put it back on the buttons started acting crazy again and the pads normal.
By paosciante Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:18 pm
Hi, after replacing some broken tact switches my MPC1000 has started acting in the same way. No button will do what its supposed to do. I have even bought a new Right Side PCB from MPCstuff, but still having the exact same issue. I have tried unplugging every PCB and putting it back together without tightening the screws, but still nothing... Has anyone found a solution to this??
By longneckian Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:38 am
I recently had this problem with my 2500 & Mpc stuff replacement board. After months of trying to figure out the problem, it turned out that the mounting plates.

- remove mounting screws from right side pcb.
- place your hand underneath and test that everything is working as it should.
- power off and remove the ribbon cables and pcb.
- use an open pair of pliers and bend every mounting plate up a couple millimetres so they all appear to be level.
- place the pcb board back in place and apply pressure all around the board, if the pcb is moving or rocking, respectively bend the mounting plates until the pcb board is solid from movement and remains flat at all times. (But obviously don’t bend it too far up because the case wont fit!)
- put everything back together and you’ll be flying in no time!

Side note:

I went with the original jogwheel option which you have to glue to a 3D printed part that’s fits on the new board. Originally I had used hot glue gun from the bottom, the glue added unwanted space and was messing up my jogwheel due to tightness on the case - go around the sides with superglue and your good.

Hope this helps those in pain!
By eddiec Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 pm
I think I had the same issue as you. I fixed it by replacing my RAM stick. Hasn't happened since!

MPC1000, pads would randomly trigger like crazy. Super frustrating. I tried replacing the pads. I tried just leaving it all disassembled, which seemed to work at times (and made me good at knowing button layout w/o the cover on). In the end it was the RAM. I still experience something similar with my qlink sliders but I can live without them.

Hope it helps! Don't give up!
By loudmusic Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:09 am
for what it's worth I had the same problem after changing some tacts (first time soldering an MPC pcb) and I thought I blew it.

Initially when I powered the unit on the PCB was not secured (I had removed it to solder). This is when it was acting crazy. And buttons were triggering by themselves.

I turned it off. I screwed the PCB in place like it was originally. I also checked the ram which was not visibly loose or loose based on how it felt but I took it out and put it back in. Powered the 1k on and everything was fine.

Now off to fix my 2.5k hopefully I continue the great run I've had with PCB soldering.