Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Freddie Fraser Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Hi

This is my first post. I am wondering whether people bother processing samples (drum loops) before loading into mpc. Does anyone quantise and eq in ableton/logic before loading to mpc or is this time consuming and not worth the effort?

Am very interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks
By Menco Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:16 pm
Freddie Fraser wrote:Hi

This is my first post. I am wondering whether people bother processing samples (drum loops) before loading into mpc. Does anyone quantise and eq in ableton/logic before loading to mpc or is this time consuming and not worth the effort?

Thanks

Whatever you prefer. You probably want to eq and need to program your drums somewhere in the process. Wether you do that before loading/ recording samples inside the MPC or do it in the MPC itself or during postproduction, just go with what gives you the best results. If processing drums in a DAW gives you great results, then it surely should be worth the effort for you I suppose.

Personally, I don't care that much about processing drums before sampling them. I do most filtering inside the MPC 2500, sometimes I use the MPC's EQ and resample. I do all my drum programming inside the MP and do correctional EQing in Logic.
By NearTao Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:20 pm
I've used Ableton to work on samples first... but part of the "sound" comes from the process. So if you're looking for perfect chops and solid warping... yeah use Ableton Live... if you want some happy mistakes, surprises, and sometimes a little dirt... focus on the MPC.

Basically if you want to learn how to produce on an MPC 1k though... I'd suggest learning it on the MPC, and then see what bits you want vs need from Ableton.

To be real though... there is no wrong way to make music. Well... I think there is, but that's must my opinion :)

+1

By Lampdog Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:31 pm
Menco wrote:Personally, I don't care that much about processing drums before sampling them.
By richie Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 pm
Does anyone quantise and eq in ableton/logic before loading to mpc or is this time consuming and not worth the effort?

Doing that would pretty much nullify the purpose of owning an MPC. You wouldn't be getting anything special of running shit into the 1000 just to record back into the computer either.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks

I do it all the time. Sample into the MPC, export the into Software DAW to clean it up and transfer it back. It works well, when there are clicks, pops, glitches, that I don't want. If the loop are on the computer already, I'll chop each instrument, transfer and play it on the MPC.

It all depends on how you choose to work. Don't worry about time, only concern yourself with the sound. Time only matters, when you have a project deadline. I tend to gather all my sources and spend the day chopping, editing, cleaning, etc. Then spend 6 days creating from those sources.

So if I have 40 drums loops, I'll chop them all in to kits. Then I can mix, match, and layer them. The truth is that's enough drums for a lifetime. But since we have access to much more, we tend to collect more. :lol: