Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Jim998 Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:28 pm
Evening all,

I've recently got a nice MPC 1000 and find the workflow, form factor and functionality to be great. I currently have 4 hardware Synthesizers, and plan to expand the studio to have a few more. I also have a Mac connected via a RME Fireface 800. I would like more midi in connectivity so I can record hardware controls, and edit synth module via software editors on the Mac.

Is is possible to expand the midi ins via a midi patch bay, or am I limited to just 2 midi ins (same on the 2500). I was thinking maybe something like the Akai ME30II.

And advice appreciated before I buy something that might might not help.

Thanks
By NearTao Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:15 pm
You can chain up to 32 midi devices... each port can handle up to 16 midi channels. This can often create latency further down the chain, but for the number of devices you are talking about this shouldn't be a problem... just need some judicious use of Midi Out/Thru/Soft Thru depending on the device.

You could add a midi patch bay, but that's also just adding one additional device to the chain which will likely just add more latency than necessarily helping you. I'd only really consider the patch bay if you were going to involve a computer into the mix.
By Jim998 Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:19 pm
Thanks for the reply. I need to include a computer for 2 reasons, 1 tracking out to Adobe audition using my RME Fireface, and therefore syncing to the 1000, secondly for editing some of my synths (AN1x, Microwave). The RME does not have midi thru, just in and out. The AN1x is my main controller, I also have a Moog Minotaur with just midi in, so I figure I need a patch bay to complete the midi loop.