Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
ByAnon47934 Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 pm
Hey yall, just got the mpc1k a few weeks back, and been stuck on getting this one self-problem right. I’m lost on what the best pad sensitivity level / velocity curve / pad-on level should be. And around that area was asking what the best velocity range seems to be?, I have the fat pads upgrade & don’t wanna be stuck using full level. Also does Main Volume play into how I hear the sounds, loud or quiet? New to all of this, so what’s some advice to get the ball rollin’?
By NearTao Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:49 pm
Personally... I prefer the linear velocity curve... as it gives you the closest to a 1:1 mapping of velocity of pad hit to loudness of the sound played. The other curves, if I remember correctly all make it so that the sound outputs a bit louder the softer you play... but I could have that wrong.

Uhm... instead of full level, don't forget that you've got 16-level, which you can set to velocity, so you'll have 16 pads playing the same sound, just at different volume/velocity levels spread across all 16 pads. This makes it quite easy to make shuffling quiet/loud hi hat patterns for instance... without having to practice playing in that way. Honestly though, just put the time in and with practice this becomes much easier to control.

Main volume impacts the output sound, so if you have it at max... then yeah... everything else you play will sound louder, than if you turn your main volume down.