Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Harmoncj Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:52 pm
I received an MPC1000 seems like OK condition, but none of the pads work, you can't even use them for data entry. all the buttons and such work just not the pads

* looked inside didn't see anything visibly wrong
* reloaded akai OS 2.13,
* still pads dont work at all

What should I be looking for? I know the old pads are flakey but surely they didn't all 16 completely break?

thanks for any help!
By mumkai Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:28 am
The pad sensors could be out. If you're comfortable opening up the mpc, taking off the metal casing and the rubber pad set you can possibly see if anything is disconnected. Over time dirt can build up and possibly get on the actual sensors under the rubber pads. The MPC 1000's pads are probably the most stiff I've ever worked with. I dont know how to get to MIDI settings without pads working, but if you can check if "pad to internal" is set to Off.
By Harmoncj Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:47 am
Interesting thanks for the suggestions I’ll report back soon. The pads themselves were unusually dirty (wash your hands folks!!) so I might go in and clean the connectors I still think it would be odd that each individual pad ended up in this condition so I was hoping to find a larger disconnect.

I’ve never used an mpc1000 before so I’m honestly asking:
Even with pad to internal is off in the MIDI screen / windows... wouldn’t I still be able to use the pads to change modes enter letter numbers?
By Sense-A Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:07 pm
Do you have the old style pads where they are all individual?

Or the new style pads where they are a sheet on top of sensor sheet?

I suspect you have old pads that are all shot, a bad ribbon cable that is creased, torn, shorted, or partially disconnected, or a bad PCB board (possibly shorting to frame) underneath the bracket that holds the pads.

Remove the cover faceplate. Take some pictures and show us what is going on.

If you have the old style pads, get rid of them. Save up for the new style pads from MPCstuff website.
By allendjp Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:35 am
Before you go ahead and get a replacement right away, check to see if the ribbon cable is seated properly on both sides and not damaged. this would be the likely culprit... also, if the common ground line wasn't making the connection due to a damaged ribbon cable, then this would definitely cause the pads to not work. you can test your cable with a multimeter doing a continuity test.